Chapter 59: Deserve

"Ready?" Father asked me.

I didn't feel nervous. Or scared. Or even sick. I was ecstatic. Since Prince passed a month ago I had been unable to work up much enthusiasm for anything, except the news that Prancer was expecting, but for this I could.

Today I was marrying Eliza. After today we wouldn't have to hide, we could be together and no one could say a thing about it. I could get away from all this, away from people who might threaten to hurt someone else I love. Move on.

"As ready as I can be," I said honestly. Because who knew what would happen? With marriage everything would change; we could be together and not have to hide, we could move away and live together.

He patted my shoulder.  "Good. Let's go."

I took a breath and followed him out. We had decided to get married outside since that's where we spent most of our time. Fortunately for me today was relatively cloudy.

We were holding it outside our house, and just by opening the front door I could see the crowd of people sitting, standing and talking. I went up to my spot by Father Jack and twisted my hands as everyone took their seat and fell silent.

Music started, slow but melodic, and everyone turned to look back up the aisle. After a moment, Eliza appeared. The top half of her auburn ringlets had been clipped up, the rest of them falling loosely down her back. Her dress was white as snow, snug to her body before falling loosely from her hips to the floor. The train wasn't long and the dress wasn't covered in embroidery or millions of unnecessary garments. It was just how she liked it, simple and beautiful.

And right now she was looking just as beautiful as she always did in that dress of snow, her wide smile aimed at me, a bouquet of roses in her hands.

She made her way to me finally, standing beside me.

The ceremony started and Eliza and I exchanged glances the whole time; stuffy ceremonies were never really our thing. But I decided to tune in occasionally anyways. We gave our rings, Eliza said her 'I do' and then it was my turn.

"In sickness and in health..." Father Jack continued in his rough voice. "Till death do you part." His beady eyes met mine. I frowned at him.

And for the first time in all the years I knew him...he smiled.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife," he said, the smile spreading so it was a grin now. It wasn't a nice one, it was an insane smile, one that made his beady eyes bright and made me feel anxious. "You may now kiss your bride."

I didn't want to look away from Father Jack; something about him had me staring and unable to pull away. Eliza tugged on my arm.

"Blade? You alright?" she whispered worriedly.

"I'm fine," I whispered back, still staring at Father Jack.

He lifted a hand, extended one finger and drew it across his neck, that maniacal smile still in place.

It struck me then. Prince. The smell in his stall, it was hard to pick a scent out. Because there had been so many, different people, different little scents they brought with them.

It was him. He killed Prince.

Before the accusation could even make its way to my mouth I was knocked down, hearing Eliza scream in terror. I looked to see her being restrained by people I didn't know.

On closer inspection though, I knew one of them.

Linus.

That pompous stable hand was a part of all this. Without a doubt I knew he was the one who sold us out. It wasn't about us being together before marriage, this was about something bigger.