Chapter 50: Wicked Witch

TW: Mild assault scene. Its not so graphic or terrible, but just in case this is sensitive please proceed carefully. I'll bold where it begins as a warning so you can skim ahead if you wish.

----------------------------------------------

I tried to get off Blade but he held me firm in his lap, his whole body tense and locked as he stared at Mona, like the snow and wintery weather had finally frozen solid. I had no idea what he was thinking and frankly I was afraid to know, especially as my own brain was spiraling too fast for me to figure anything out myself.

"Oh hello, Kiana," Mona said in a sickly sweet tone, while her eyes shot stakes in my direction.

"Hi, Mona," I said weakly, waving. Fuck. Couldn't she have gotten staked by a high heel shoe in a cat fight or something? How could I have forgotten she existed? What was it about Blade that made all sense fly out the window?

Blade finally seemed to gain some of his life back as he stood up, still holding me as he helped me to my feet. I spotted a familiar blond head behind Mona and tried to pull away from Blade but he still had his death grip on me, and honestly, it was starting to hurt.

"Blade," I said pointedly, hitting his arm with my fist.

"What?" he blinked, temporarily taking his gaze off Mona to look at me, as dazed as if he were waking up from a deep sleep. "Oh. Sorry." He let me go and I stepped aside, rubbing my sore hip before hurrying off through the snow, giving Mona a wide berth to get to Aidan.

"Kiana!" he cried. He dropped the bags he had in his hands and hugged me tight. "Hey! How's it going?"

"Um...just fine," I said. Absolutely fucking peachy. Never been better! 

"Ugh, she just got here," he muttered, looking over my shoulder. I turned my head to see Mona practically attack Bladed with kisses, while he stood there as frozen and still as our snowman, hands limp at his sides.

Facing Aidan again, I forced a smile and asked "So how was it?"

"Well it was both fun and boring at the same time. Fun because a lot of girls hit on me and had to be very disappointed to find out I was gay," he laughed a little as he picked up his bags and walked me to the door. "Boring because while she was working I had nothing really to do."

"So why didn't you call?" I asked, opening the front door to him.

He sighed. "My phone didn't work much. I had to use pay phones and I didn't have much change on me to start."

"From what I've heard you and Mick sure talked," I said, trying to act normal and not as if a truck had just driven straight into my gut.

"Er...yeah. How is he anyways? I haven't spoken to him for a while."

"He's fine."

He dropped his bags in the hall and folded his arms over his chest, "But you're not."

"What gave it away?" 

"Normally you're chatty or somewhat excited. Now you look as if someone just ran over your cat. So what's wrong?"

Mona's voice was getting closer and louder, not to mention more obnoxious, before she and Blade walked through the front door, arm in arm.

That was everything that was wrong.

Blade could only give me a pained expression, so I dropped my gaze to my boots and the snow that was slowly melting and sliding off into a sad puddle of mush.

"I'm going to go shower," I said quietly, peeling off my wet boots so I wouldn't slip or dirty the house before I walked off, trying not to slide too much in my socks on the wood floor in my hurry to get away.