Chapter 21: Third Date Rule

"I still can't believe you tricked me like that," Landon said, his arm around my waist as we walked to a restaurant for an early dinner. Today was our second date and he was treating me out since he won the race during track.

"Hey, if you listened better you would have realized the trick so don't blame me. It's kind of like saying let's flip a coin," I said, "Tails I win, heads you lose."

"I don't get it, there's nothing wrong with that," he said with frown, pushing open the door to the restaurant.

"You're even dumber than I thought."

"That's not very nice," he pouted before he came up behind me and put his hands on my hips, guiding me forward to the hostess stand. "So what's the trick?"

"Tails I win, heads you lose. Think it over."

"Table for two?" the hostess asked.

"Yup," I replied.

"Oh!" Landon exclaimed, "I get it now." The hostess gave him a weird look as he squeezed my hips. "That's a bad trick."

"Says the guy who had trouble figuring it out," I teased as we followed the hostess to our table.

"You know, I'm curious about this Blade character," Landon said, once we were seated with our menus, "You said he was a family friend...did you guys spend a lot of time with each other as kids?"

I snorted. I couldn't even Blade as a child. "Nah, I didn't actually meet the guy until this year. Like I said, his family is friends with mine. I never said he was friends with me."

"How old is he anyways? He looks like he's twenty," Landon said, rubbing his thumb on the back of my hand.

"Not a clue." He may look twenty but he's probably ten times that and he sure as hell wasn't going to tell me how old he was for real, especially if it was a high number. He knew better than to arm me with that kind of information so I could make fun him for it. "But he's definitely too old."

"Too old for you?" he teased.

"Much too old," I said, leaning over the table to him, "I prefer guys my own age."

"You're seventeen and I'm eighteen."

"I'll be eighteen in December."

"Ah, I'm a lucky guy then," he said, leaning closer towards me.

"Hi! My name is Jess and I'll be your server tonight!" came a chipper voice.

We both pulled back and I flushed deeply as I looked up at the waitress. She looked about fifty with her dark brown hair streaked with grey and small wrinkles on the corners of her mouth and eyes, but she had a huge smile on her face that seemed incredibly genuine.

"What would you like to drink?" she asked, still cheery.

"Um...coke," I said.

"Same here," Landon said.

"Perfect! I'll be right back with your drinks and some breadsticks and to get your orders!" she said, and with another huge grin she practically skipped off.

"Wow," Landon commented, "She's certainly a happy person."

"No kidding. I think I'd kill myself if I got that happy."

"Well, killing yourself wouldn't be very happy so you'd definitely be accomplishing something."

I rolled my eyes as I picked up my menu. "How sad."

"What is?" he asked.

"They serve fish."

"What's wrong with eating fish?"