Chapter 16: Fairy Godmother

When we made it to school it was still early so we had plenty of time to hang out and do whatever but I wasn't really up to socializing anymore. And this time I didn't need to lie and say I had cramps, I truly did have them and I knew they were going to get worse so Landon walked me to my dorm once we got back on campus.

"So was this date as bad as you thought it was going to be?" Landon teased as we walked up the stairs, his arm around my waist.

"Nah. It was worse."

He bumped me with his hip, "Stop being mean. It wasn't that bad."

I laughed, a hand on my abdomen as I tried to remain upright and not shrivel up into a pathetic ball like I wanted too. "Okay, it was fun if you cut out the parts with Blade."

"So you wouldn't mind if we did it again?" 

"I wouldn't mind at all," I replied as we walked down the hall to my dorm. I pulled my key from my purse and unlocked the door, opening it a crack before I peered in, just in case Blade had made good on his promise to be here. I couldn't sense him that close by, but he was quick as hell and it was entirely possible for him to sneak in within two seconds. "Thank God!"

"What?" Landon asked, peering into my room as I opened the light.

"Jill and Brian aren't in there," I said, which was also a relief. The way they kept cropping up at every turn today, I half expected to find them horizontal and naked in here already.

"Hey," he said, wrapping his arms around me and tugging me close to his chest. "If Brian's ever doing anything to you or you're alone with him then run like hell and call me, okay?"

"Okay," I said, cheek against his shoulder. "Thanks for today. I really meant it when I said I had fun."

"Anytime," he said and I pulled back to say goodbye for the night. His fingertips brushed my hair behind my ear and, oh, the way he was looking at me, I felt my stomach spin with nerves and excitement. "Kiana, I don't want to push you...if you don't..."

"Kiss on the first date?" I finished with a smile. "Sorry but I have a strict rule about that one."

After my last failed relationship, taking it slow seemed more prudent than ever. And my cramps were getting worse and I just really didn't want this particular moment to be marred by anything.

"Okay then, I can respect that," he said, kissing my forehead, "Especially since I hope there will be more dates to come."

Hopefully ones that wouldn't be interrupted by an idiot vampire and a uterus hell bent on ruining the mood.

"There will be," I said, pulling out of his arms to step into my room. "Goodnight, Landon."

"'Night, Kiana," he said, flashing me another grin before he headed back out and I closed the door, leaning against it as I let out a sigh.

"Um...wow," I exhaled, almost regretting my decision not to kiss him. But like he said, there would be plenty of other dates and opportunities. No need to rush.

The thought made me smile as I walked into my room, an arm wrapped around my abdomen as my cramps started to get worse. Being a girl was a drag.

I forced myself to take a steamy shower, hoping that might help, then snuggled up in my pajamas in bed. I closed the main lights but left the light on between my bed and Katie's so when Katie and Jill came in they wouldn't have turn on the big light and wake me up. I curled up under the covers into a ball, breathing deeply as I waited for my cramps to subside or to fall asleep. Whichever put me out of my misery first.

"You're a real tease," someone said.

I sat upright abruptly, sending pain through my abdomen. I moaned and flopped back down into a ball again, squeezing my eyes shut.