Chapter 31: Brawny Idiot

"When are you ever going to tell me what's bothering you?" I huffed as Landon and I ran around the track. It was Monday, the day after Blade came to visit, and already dozens of girls came up to me asking who he was, if he was single, if they could have his number, blah blah blah. I was almost happy I didn't have his number; that way they couldn't bitch about me being selfish or wanting him all to myself. Not that a lot of them believed me.

Maybe it would have been better if I did have it so he could field all the annoying offers instead.

Then again, he might enjoy all the attention.

"Nothing's bothering me," Landon said, huffing and panting just as much as we sprinted down the home stretch of our last lap.

We crossed the finish line and gradually slowed, walking the track to cool down. "Bullshit. You've barely spoken to me since Blade came to visit yesterday," I said, squinting up at him, shading my eyes from the sun with my hand. "Is that what's bothering you? Blade?"

He didn't say anything, he just stared straight ahead as we walked around the track, sweating and panting.

"Landon." I grabbed his arm and jerked him to a stop. "Come on. What's your deal?"

"You kissed him."

"We talked about this already," I said, not buying it for a minute. "I know there's something else besides that that's bothering you, so just talk to me."

He shoved his hand through his sweaty hair to get and strode quickly ahead. "Look, I'm just overreacting, okay? I just don't like how he's always looking at you and you two are always flirting and shit. I'm just jealous or something. Whatever."

"Always flirting?" I sputtered, "You've seen us together twice. How is that always? We've argued more than anything else. And what do you mean always looking at me?"

"I don't know! He just looks at you a lot and he just gives you this look that's like...I don't know how to describe it but I don't like it." He tossed his hands up in exasperation, "And I know you guys must see each other outside of school, or it was before school started or something, because you talked about going out and how you loved him."

"It was a joke, Landon. Yes, I told him I loved him. But it was because he said he didn't believe in love and I was trying to make him feel better. He's my friend--" sort of "--so of course I care about him, just like I care about Mick, Nate, and Noah. I went out with him, yes, but not on dates. We just hung out, like I hang out with all my other friends. Is that really a crime or am I going to have to stop hanging out with anyone of your gender too now?" 

"I'm sorry Kiana, but you asked," he said, jogging to catch up to me. "Look, I'm not good at this whole commitment and relationship thing. You know I'm not usually the type of guy who sticks with one girl for a long time, but when I am with a girl I don't...I have trouble trusting her with other guys."

"Is it because of that girl that slept with everyone behind your back?" 

He blinked hard. "How did you know about that?"

"Nate told me a few weeks ago about how you loved her but she cheated on you with a whole bunch of guys. And how you were waiting so she could be your first..." I shook my head, unable to keep the grimace off my face. It was a horrible situation and I'd only made it worse. "He said you changed after that."

"Yeah, I got my heart broken. She lied and cheated and I decided I wasn't going to go through that shit again." He rubbed his eyes tiredly, taking a breath before continuing. "That's why I...overreact sometimes when I hear about you and Blade. And you two kissing didn't help ease my mind either. Can you really blame me for worrying when you already kissed him once? How do I know you wont do it again with him? Or with some other guy?"