Chapter 7: "I don't want to see the eating process in HD."

History was, unfortunately, the first lesson of the day. And going by the lethargic energy of the room I wasn’t the only one wishing it wasn’t.

I took my usual seat and pulled out my notebooks. The class was unusually silent. Everyone half asleep as we waited for the class to fill up, even Mr Higgs looks tired as he sat at his desk a yawn falling from his lips.

Then Amy walked in. Her hair colour changed once again to a bright cherry pink. She was oblivious to the tired atmosphere as she pranced into the room, a bright smile on her round face.

“Thanks for the detention the other days Higgs, I got a cute guys number out of it.” She announced winking at our history teacher who rolled his eyes at her antics.

I smirked at her, shaking my head slightly as she came to take her seat.

“You are way too energetic for this time in the morning.” I drawled propping my head into my hand.

She shrugged her shoulders and sat down.

“You’re just way too boring, all of you are.” She shouted the last part, dragging the attention of the class to our table.

“Nice hair.” One of the guys close to us said; a sarcastic glint in his eyes.

Amy fluffed her hair and winked at the guy.

“Your Dad thought so too.”

Burn.

The tips of his ears turned pink and he glared at her but didn’t say anything in return, knowing there was no point when it came to Amy.

“Your hair is pretty cool,” I said once Amy was done blowing kisses to the poor guy.

Amy pulled a strand of the cherry pinkness and sighed.

“I didn’t exactly mean for it to be this bright, I was aiming for bubble gum coloured. But Kate left the stuff in too long and it came out like this. I suppose it’s not too bad though.” She said with a shrug.

“You do it yourself?” I asked happy that the conversation was easy between us for a change.

“Yeah, it’s too expensive to go to a professional.” She explained dropping the strand of hair again.

I nodded in agreement and looked down at my own blonde hair. It sat on my shoulder in its usual dull waves. It was once long, sleek, always kept in perfect curls down my back. I would spend hours keeping my hair perfect.

No it seemed pointless, all that wasted money on my hair; all that wasted time.

I ran my hand through it subconsciously, while looking at the brightness of Amy’s hair. I would never have the confidence to do anything like that. I would stand out too much.

“Right, shut up! I am not in the mood for any silly tricks today. So let’s just get on with the lesson.” Mr Higgs said into the class and instantly everyone fell into deep silence.

He began his class, and I zoned out.

I wasn’t very good at focusing on anything. I suppose that’s why my grades weren’t exactly great; they stayed on the average level all year. Not quite failing, not quite doing great.

Amy elbowed my lightly, bringing me from my sleepless dream and nodded to the front of the class.

Mr Higgs was writing on the board:

Partner homework. Research one cure that was believed to cure the black death, present the information you find in a power point. Due in one week.”