Chapter 6: "Jer doesn't like clothes. They restrict his inner child."

“Have fun in detention.”

It was the end of the day and Amy was currently grumbling under her breath about her detention.

I was in the middle of the corridor, grappling with my laughter and my sarcasm. It was her own fault after all.

“Why don’t you go instead? I’m sure it is a lot more fun for you than it is for me.” She said ruffling her purple hair with one hand while the other pointed daringly at me.

“Nah, sorry to disappoint Amy but, detention isn’t a pic-nick for me either.” I said with a casual shrug, my feet already beginning to walk towards the exit.

“You suck.” She pouted childishly.

“Next time stay away from making jokes about history in front of Mr Hall. You know how weird he gets about it.” I said rolling my eyes.

“It’s not my fault I spoke the truth!” She shouted as I turned my back on her.

“Have fun!” I called back flashing her a quick smirk over my shoulder.

I decided to ignore the imaginative name she called me.

 For the first time since I met Seth Grey I was able to get into my car without too much hassle, though I did get one hell of a nasty ass glare from a blonde Barbie name Rochelle, I also managed to start the car without nearly knocking someone over so I was in a pretty good mood.

Until I remembered the conversation I overhead last night, and what was waiting for me when I got home. So, for some unknown reason, I found myself driving back to that little diner.

It was exactly how I remembered it: shabby but homey.

It was a little more busy than it had been when I came the last time, more family’s this time, but I suppose that’s because I had come in so late.

“Melody?”

The sound of my name stopped my sweep of the diner, and instead forced my head to dart quickly to the side in surprise.

It was Jeremy. He was holding a menu in his hands, a small smile on his face. And behind him Chris was ginning at me, his eyes shining brightly as they always seemed to do.

On a quick glance of the grinning boy I couldn’t help but notice the baggy hoodie he was wearing. It was too hot in here, in fact I felt like I was melting from coming straight in from the cold. Yet there he stood, dressed like it was winter.

He stood out for some reason, it twisted and pulled in my gut, like a bad thought.

“It really is you. Wow, I didn’t think you would want to come back here in case you ran into Seth.” Jeremy said bringing me back to the situation at hand. Chris’s strange dressing habits already falling to the back of my mind.

“Nah, the food was too good for me to care about that idiot.” I said smiling slightly.

Jeremy grinned down at me, and again I was struck by the likeness between him and his Dad. Strange it took me so long to notice it the last time I was here.

“Then I can take you to a table…Or you can just stand here all night.” He was smirking now, his eyebrow twitching upwards a little.  

I rolled my eyes and wooshed him away with my hands my expression saying all that was needed.

Hurry up then: asshole.

He chuckled quietly under his breath, ticking his head to the side indicating the same table had used the last time I was here. I shrugged and followed him to it. Chris followed behind us, still smiling, not speaking.