Chapter 14: "I saw an opportunity and took it."

The crowd is deadly silent as they all take in my threatening tone. Amy is still grinning like a maniac, which is something to be noted I suppose.

Sophie opens her mouth, like she was about to rebuke me but the sound of heels 'clacking' on the laminated floor had her turning on her heels.

It was a teacher, Mrs Hamilton I think. I hadn't had her before, so I wasn't quite sure.

She was an angry looking woman, with greying hair and glasses bridged on her nose. Her eyes immediately fell to my vandalised locker and straight to Sophie who smiled innocently in return.

Like butter wouldn't fucking melt.

I had to grind my teeth to stop myself from saying something very colourful to her.

"Er... Okay everyone, off to class. Now." Mrs Hamilton cried pointing down the corridor, away from my locker.

Hushed whispers erupted around us, too many for me to pick out just one, and slowly the crowd dispersed until only Sophie, Amy, me and Mrs Hamilton were left.

"You three too." She said not meeting my eye, instead her beady eyes focussed on the eye watering smile Sophie was giving her.

"Teachers? Ha. What a joke. Scum is more accurate." Amy hissed loudly but the only response she got was an inhalation of air from the teacher behind us.

I shook my head at her: silently telling her to stop and pulled her along, away from the two who were angering her the most at this moment.

"It's not fair Melody." Amy finally spat when we were far enough away and I had dropped her wrist.

I shrugged indifferently. I didn't want my Mum to know about everything. I didn't want the teachers to make things worse. So, really, having them all under Sophie's thumb was a good thing for me. Intsead of replying I let Amy rant about Sophie, about the locker and about why my life sucks in general.

~*~

I don't know how I made it to lunch without being ambushed in the corridors but I did: somehow.

This time I wasn't quick enough to get to the middle table first, but I needn't worry. Amy, Kate, Jeremy and Chris were already there.

I waved to them as I entered the lunch line earning a small wave from all. Well, all except Kate. She just rolled her eyes and continued eating.

But hey! At least she acknowledged me.

As I was standing in line my mind was focussed back on the locker, like it had been for most of the day, so I was too out of it to hear Seth skip the line and squeeze in behind me.

It was the crowds complaining that brought me from my depressing thoughts.

"What are you doing idiot?" I asked disapprovingly, glowering at him a little.

"I saw an opportunity and took it." Seth said shrugging, his eyes wandering over the menu for todays 'food.'

In his concentration I found my mind wandering back to the words scrawled over my locker. The meaning behind them. The truth of it.

"Yuck, seriously? Fish Surprise... Yeah the surprise is when you throw it back up...." Seth laughed, or he could have been crying. I wasn't paying too much attention to be honest.

He must have noticed though, since his laughter stopped suddenly and his face appeared too close to my own. Stupidly, I blinked back at him, coming back to reality once more.

"You should tell someone." He whispered solemnly, his arms crossing over his chest defensively.

I sighed, I had been hoping he somehow didn't know. That he had remained oblivious and would stay out of this one.