Chapter 11

I hadn't realized I've fallen asleep in Loki's arms that night. Exhaustion from walking through heavy snow really took all the energy out of me.

I looked around the cave, realizing Loki was gone. I got out of my soft bed and walked over to the entrance of the cave.

The cavern was a little busy but no tall figure was to be seen. Maybe I should try looking out side for a bit, I would like to see a little more of this place anyways.

I walked across the huge cavern floor to the entrance. Frost wolves stayed inside their caves, some watching me as I passed by.

I finally reached the entrance and stepped outside, the morning sun above the trees at the top of the small canyon. A few wolves lingered in the clearing, mostly staying to the edges.

Still no sight of Loki. Where was he?

"Eek!" Jaws clamped around my leg, making me jump.

"Ah ha!" said a young muffled voice. "I've captured you again! Don't you dare try to escape!" It was the same pup from yesterday.

"Ah man, what am I gonna do?" I gasped softly.

"Jaku!" another wolf barked out. The little frost wolf pup paused. "Get over here now!" the older wolf ordered. It must of been Jaku's mother. Jaku ran over to his mother obediently, leaving me to be alone.

I sighed and wandered further out in the clearing enjoying the scenery. There was a heavy scuffling sound on the ridge on the far side, then a rumble.

Three frost wolves emerged and belted down the ridge down into the canyon. Then suddenly a huge icy-blue creature emerged with sharp teeth. It roared in fury and charged down the valley after the frost wolves.

Fear trembled in my throat as the wolves belted straight towards me, the raging beast stomping behind.

I ran, afraid for my life.

A frost wolf was flung across the clearing, hitting me making me fall to the ground. The frost beast raised its clawed hand in the air and brought it down, but I quickly rolled out of the way. I darted up from the ground but tripped in my panic.

The frost wolf yelped in pain, and the frost beast was going to hit the wolf again until I threw a rock at it. It paused and glanced at me.

"Leave the frost wolf alone!" I yelled at it. I found another ice-rock and threw it at the frost beast. What was I doing?! That thing was going to kill me!

The frost beast lashed out at me angrily, claws outstretched, knocking me across the clearing into a large pile of snow.

My vision was blurry from the pain as the frost beast charged towards me for the final blow.

I couldn't move, every bone in my body was frozen. It came closer, jumping into the air towards me. I closed my eyes.

There was a roar of pain and the sound of snow falling everywhere, the ground vibrating.

"Don't you DARE hurt her!" Loki voice growled. My eyes opened to see the frost giant run wobbly off and out of the canyon, leaving behind a trail of blood.

Loki came quickly over to me. "Are you ok? Are you bleeding?" he said rather briskly.

He pulled me up from the snow. "I think I'm ok..." I said as the Alpha walked up.

"I am sorry but you will have to go home." the Alpha said.

Loki turned around to face the Alpha, cold fury burning in his eyes. "What was this all about? Why didn't you protect her?"

"It was a test." Alpha said plainly. "And she failed. I was hoping by putting her in danger would help her manifest her power but I was wrong. You are free to go home."

Disappointment stabbed me. "Then how will you fight off the rouges?" I asked.

"We are looking for the Moonstone." Alpha said. "It will supply us the power of the moon to defeat the rouges."

I was at lost for words as I stared at the Alpha blankly. What was I to do now that they didn't need me? Was I really that worthless?

"Good!" Loki said coldly. "Now we can leave instead of dealing with your little problem and almost getting her killed." Loki grabbed my hands and started going for the cavern. "Come on let's get your stuff and get out of here."

"Ouch! Loki careful." I seethed as I was tugged into our cavern room. "I think I got a cut..." I lifted up my arm, looking at the cut sleeve. It was wet with blood.

Loki, holding my bag, put his hand over the cut and let his healing magic wash over it.

"You ready to go?" Loki asked me. He didn't look happy.

"Well, yes' mentioning you are holding my stuff... But where are we going to?"

Loki put his arm around my waist and pushed me towards him. "To my palace." he said with a glitter in his green eyes.

My vision blurred and in an instant we were surrounded by a beautiful winter forest. I gaped at the winter wonder of it all in its magnificence. Tall icicle trees glittered in the suns rays high above us.

"Amazing..." I breathed.

Loki relaxed and gazed contently at me. "I knew you would like it." he murmured. "Now come, just over that ridge is were my palace is."

We strolled casually through the icicle forest up the slope, the snow sparkling as we walked trough it.

The palace was starting to come in view, it's crystally peaks reaching the sky.

Starting down from the valley, the palace stretched up majestically from the side of a mountain, crawling out along the side of the opposite ridge.

I held my breath at the grand sight.

Loki tensed. "No way!" Loki hissed under his breath.

"What is it Loki?" I asked. Down the the palace gates were the distant view of frost wolves patrolling the front. Large human-type figures with sharp objects and armor walked along the edges of the palace, and they looked none too friendly.

Loki looked at me with rage in his eyes. "They have took over my palace!"