Chapter 6

The cold was relentless as I trekked along. The snow clouds had returned soon after we left the safety of the rock cliffs. No signs of anyone in pursuit showed.

Five more wolves had regrouped with us after Loki had distracted them.

Loki was what filled my thoughts. Was he ok? Was he searching for me now? Did whoever attacked him capture him?

No... Loki was the king and he seemed to have powerful magic.

I stumbled in the snow, my legs getting heavy from walking. The wolf pack paused, letting me recover. The leader wolf trodded up to me, tilting his head up at me, then turned to his pack.

"Go and hunt, we will be in the gorge" he ordered and four of the frost wolves ran off. The leader turned back to me "Come, we are almost to a place where you can rest."

I followed behind, squinting my eyes at the cool wind.

We then came to large crack, about one to two feet wide, on the landscape that was hardly visible unless you came right up to it. I looked through the crevice to see that there a cave-like shelter in the gorge.

"This way" the leader motioned with his tail. I followed behind him down a rocky slope into the gorge. The wall of the ledge curved inward, making it the perfect shelter for any wind storm that might come.

I plopped down against the icy rock wall worn out.

I rummaged through my satchel taking out the bottle of cider, making me surprised that it was still warm. It must be magic, I thought as I guzzled down the drink till my thirst was satisfied.

The leader wolf cantered up to me and sat across from me.

"Do you have a name?" I asked him. I have gained the confidence that these wolves did not want to harm me thus making me slightly trust them.

"My name is Darsvk" he huffed. Darsvk stood up and came close to me, his golden yellow eyes starring into mine. Only then was I able to see how huge he was. His broad shoulders and thick white and grey fur made him the size of a lion.

"Beautiful..." the words escaped from my mouth in a whisper. I widened my eyes from the realization of what I just said.

Darsvk blinked and gave out a huff. "For a Midgardian, you are pretty strong willed and unafraid. I need that in you."

I gave a questioning look to Darsvk "Umm... Can you tell me why you need me? I mean... what power do I have that you talk about?"

Darsvk blankly stared at me, then his gaze hardened. "Don't play with me Midgardian... I know what power lies within you. Don't think you will get out of this."

I shook my head in confusion, "What are you talking about?"

"There has been an uprising... a rebellion" Darsvk growled. "There are some wolves who wish to have all power. Murdering and stealing to get what they want. And they are growing in numbers, planning to take over for their own benefit." Darsvk snarled "That's why I need your power to overcome them in the final battle! We cannot lose to the likes of them!"

I was speechless. What was I going to tell Darsvk? I didn't have this power he kept talking about. How can he put so much faith in me like that? I gulped.

Darsvk attention turned to the sound of crumbling rocks as the team of wolves came back with a large deer-like animal in their jaws.

"Well done" Darsvk praised them as he cantered over to them. "Let all those who are hungry come eat!" He called and the other wolves joined them in a circle around the dead prey.

They lowered their heads in reverence before digging in, being sure to share evenly with those around them.

My appetite dropped to the bottom of my stomach as I witnessed the horror of flesh being torn apart. My throat clogged up at just the sound of the feasting noises making me shutter.

"I'm just gonna stand over here..." I said sickly. Darsvk looked up at me and nodded.

I shakily got up and walked further down the gorge, away from the site and sounds. I came upon a rock wall that blocked most of the view so I went on the other side, the sounds completely dropping.

The cold fresh air and soothing breeze was all that was remained.

I sat down against the bolder and rested my head back upon it, gazing up through the gap above me to the outside winter world. I let my thoughts wander.

Do I have power? I became lonely and a bit frightened from the unsurity of why it was I was doing here and what I was suppose to do.

I closed my eyes, wishing Loki was with me, being cared for in his kind embrace.

My mind froze in surprise... Why does Loki matter to me? I've only known him for like, two days! I cast away the thought.

Whatever adventure I was about to be in, I knew Loki would be right by my side, protecting me.

I slipped into the comfort of napping.