Chapter 2

I would stop every occasion to eat and drink some of the food in the satchel, being careful to save some for the next time I needed to take a break.

I continued to trek through the night. It must of been around 8 or 9, because weariness started to make my legs worn out and tired.

It was high moon when the storm had finally stopped. The air was quite and still as I reached the top of a hill. The moon light illuminating every thing.

There was a forest! Finally! A safe place where I could shelter and rest! I practically ran down the hill and into the woods, even though my legs ached. I slowed down to a stroll as I looked around for a spot I could shelter and sleep.

A branch snapped.

I paused.

I looked behind me as gleaming yellow eyes looked back at me hungrily. Fear froze me into place a a giant Silver-Grey White wolf stepped out of the shrubbery, and started to stalk around me to the side. I could see other huge wolves back in the shrubbery, their blue eyes gleaming, waiting.

I silently moved my hand into my satchel to reach the dagger, keeping my eyes locked onto the leader. My gaze darted back and forth between the leader and the pack. They were starting to surround me!

I took one quick look of my surroundings, mapping out the best escape route. Over that ridge, I decided, I would be able to lose them maybe?

The leader had now trod past me, walking in front of me with its back slightly away from my direction. Perfect! I seized the chance I had to run away while then leader was least expecting it and started to chase after me, it's pack closely behind.

My stiff legs started to warm up in the running. I ran as fast as I could, took sharp turns to break the wolves speed of direction, but I could hear them catching up.

My legs started to scream, my lungs and throat started to burn against the cold air, cold wind stinging my eyes...I was running out of time ...and energy.

I broke through the tree line, the pack was close behind. Up ahead I could see a large river, it's dark current moving forcefully. Beyond the river were jagged rocks, their peaks scratching the sky. If I was to lose the whole pack then, I had to go into the river and swim to the other side.

I changed my course to the river, and I made my legs fly harder and faster. The pack was not going to let their prey go and they pressed harder after me, growling and snarling. I could almost feel their teeth snapping at my heels when I dove into the river.

A wave of ice cold shock paralyzed my body. NO! I will not die! I swam to the top gasping in a breath of air. The wolves whimpered and growled at the edge of the river and I couldn't help but smirk. I turned my attention to the other side and started to swim.

The current was harsh and cold, as I used what ever energy I had left. I couldn't feel my hands and feet. It was getting harder and harder to swim against the current, my energy quickly draining from me. The weight of my items seemed to get heavier and heavier with each stoke.

I was suddenly pulled under the water by a strong current, panic made me freak out. I struggled to get control as the current spun me around. I managed to gain control and break through the surface, gasping for air, but then was soon pulled back under.

I struggled again under the water, trying to get back to the surface when the current slammed me into a rock, knocking the strength out of me.

I floated there paralyzed. I had no more energy left. Darkness started to crowd my vision.

A muffled splash reached my ears as a dark figure dove down with their hand stretched out reaching for me.

Darkness engulfed me.