Chapter 9: Previous Bonds

Spending the night in the same room as Sakura was beyond awkward. I could feel the death glares she was trying to project through my heart. It had been this way for about two hours, and I was trying to sleep to be able to confront Zabuza, or Haku. As long as I tried to ignore her she was just to much to deal with. I rolled over and sat up sighing as hard as my lungs could physically exhale.

        “Sakura, I know how much you seem to hate me for the supposed affection Sasuke gives me, but you seriously need to calm it. He doesn't seem to really give a crap about me either so we're both in the same boat. I'm sick of all this glaring so go to sleep”

        She sat up too, glaring with all her pinkette might.” I don't need to hear all this from some girl who abandoned her family! Why don't you find someone who's as sick as you are instead of Sasuke. He does care for me, in a special way that's only for me.!” She flipped over trying to avoid the rage she seemed to accumulated inside me.

        I glared harshly at her from the accusation she threw at me. She knew nothing of my old life or their murders. I had half a mind to show her how to respect those who could harm her.

        Instead of going to fight over what she seemed to believe I had done I stood up and slammed over the rice paper door. Rushing downstairs and to the back door, I shimmied up the tree that stood outside the door. Hopping onto the roof, I spotted a dark silhouette sitting still. I walked closer to the person, which turned out to be Naruto sitting in bright orange pajama pants. I sat next to him, leaning onto his shoulder.

        Muffled by his shoulder in my face I asked,” You know how it is to not have parents, why do you like Sakura when she's so judgmental against that?” He shifted slightly to look at me and sighed.

        “I love Sakura.... Because she is my teammate and she reminds me that no matter how much she says she hates me, just like the rest of Konoha does, I know deep down she appreciates me even though it's just a small bit. And she loves Sasuke.”

        “More like she's obsessed with him.” I stated jokingly.

        “Yeah, she is, isn't she” He sighed and laughed a little.

        Someday I hoped she could someday she could love him, or he could love someone else.

–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I could feel the pain radiating through my head to my eyes from using the Ice sheild Kekkei Genkai. The frozen shield around Sasuke almost shattering from Haku's ice shards. My eyes faltered from the powdered blue and red while I tried to keep control of the shield. I knew Sasuke was nearly dead, and the only way for my whole team to stay alive.... was to kill Haku.

I had known him for so long, but these people were my life now. My new family. I clenched my eyes shut knowing there was no way out of this. I formed my hands into the dragon serpent rat signs, whispering the Ninjutsu style Inner Scars. Waiting for a moment I glanced up and could see Haku gasp for breath and stare at me. The move Inner Scars was meant to slice up the inner respiratory system. I saw him gasp and blood leaked from his mouth.

         I cringed with sadness and made my way over to Naruto who had rolled to his side. Making sure he and Sasuke were still breathing I made my way over to Kakashi. I knew Sakura was alright considering she fought no one. I dared not look backward, already knowing Haku was long dead after my Ninjutsu. Kakashi had finished off Zabuza and I cringed again, knowing that I was going to miss him as much as I would Haku.

–------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        On the exhausting walk back home, I made sure Haku and Zabuza were properly buried on the cliff overlooking the Land of the Waves. No one spoke, possibly not wanting to blurt out questions about my hidden past life involving them.

        “What?” I ground out startling the rest of my team. Kakashi continued to stare ahead and whistle. Sasuke still glared ahead and limped on, while Sakura and Naruto looked at me interestedly.

        “I kinda do want to know about your... past.” She muttered while Naruto nodded enthusiastically.

        I sighed, ready to reveal a smidge of my past life.

–------------------------------------------------------------

        “Almost two months after leaving my demolished village behind, with only my partner Ace for company, I had a run in with Haku five miles outside of Shimogakure, The village was where he had grown up, where he had been shunned, and his family were killed.

        I had already known we were similar, I could see pain, and anger radiating through his eyes, just like mine. He and I stayed under the bridge connecting the town and the winding traveler paths. I was able to pick pocket ignorant merchant carts and we survived off as much as I could take.”

        “But Akira, you look so good for being malnourished. Shouldn't you look a little.. gaunt?” Naruto interrupted loudly, waving his hand in my face.

        I sighed and shoved his sticky palms away.”I have very blessed genetics that makes me look this fabulous, and I'm a mastermind at pickpocketing. I got what I needed for myself and Haku. That's why Haku looked fabulous too. Let me finish the story.” He nodded and shook his head in reluctant agreement.

        “About three weeks into pickpocketing, Haku and I met Zabuza, and we all shared similar aspects of our ice and water Kekkei Genkais. From then on we trained under him, and we fought with him so we could become some of the strongest mercenary ninjas around. He taught me how to control and harness my ice Kekkei Genkai.”

        Naruto whistled slowly and nodded his head in agreement” Sakura, you're the only person on the team with a pretty decent life going for you, right?”

        “Yeah,” I muttered “yet she still acts like a pig and a child.”

She glared with a lighter disdain then she ever before held for me. How cute. She must have found a soft spot in her icy soul. It still wasn't as cold as mine.

–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note: So guys, I’m back! There's no smushy romance yet, got to find the right pairing! I'm not gonna give excuses as to why I’m so late, but I want to finish this story as to start another one. See you guys next chapter!