Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Six months ago: Midgard

The cell was cold, dark and dank, it looked like something straight out of the Victorian era. Clearly it was a disused prison for the whole place had the feel of abandonment and neglect. There was no furniture in the room and the toilet was little more than a hole in the floor. The door was rusted steel with a small slot that was covered by a metal flap.

Jason Redfield sat naked and huddled in the corner, his body ached, he was cold and tired and had never felt more alone in all his life. Were the gods punishing him? Had seeking refuge in a Christian building offended them? It wasn't like there had been much choice, there were very few pagan shrines left and the ones that still existed were being desecrated and destroyed. The only one that hadn't yet been touched was Stonehenge but that wasn't much of a place to hide.

Jason shifted his weight and groaned in pain. Everything hurt. His one small victory was that he was somehow still alive, he had withstood all their tortures, he hadn't cracked, he hadn't given in or confessed to lies. How many more days could he last? This was only the first day and already he was at is limit. He had to stay strong, he had to die rather than give in, it was only way he could redeem the gods favour.

Jason's mind drifted to his best friend Cassie. Was she ok? Had she got away from the Witch Hunters? If she had then at least his death would serve some purpose. In the cold and dark Jason tried to take comfort from that fact. He was completely unaware that Cassie shivering and crying in the cell next door. Nor was he to know that Alexia was cowering in a cell further down the hallway.

As Jason silently seethed with anger and frustration as he thought of the man that had betrayed him and had led him to this point in his life. Jason would have taken great pleasure and satisfaction in knowing that Bishop Leo III died during his interrogation or that his cold dead body was dumped in the cell opposite. He would never know this or would he ever find out. Jason would never know that later on in that night the bishop's body would be taken away to a satanic temple deep in Helheim. Or that it would be the prince of Hell himself that would perform the ritual to summon forth a demon to inhabit the dead body.

There was no light or windows in the cell, there was no way to tell time or know if it was day or night. . After an unknown length of time had passed a groaning of rusted hinges announced the opening of the small flap in the door. Jason didn't move or even react, he just kept sitting with his chin resting on his knees. He could hear the slow and steady breathing of the person outside the door. There came a quiet and cold mocking laugh. There was no lights on in the corridor so Jason couldn't see the person yet he did fancy that he could see a faint gleam of crimson. But it could just be his imagination.

Finally a cold voice spoke

"Jason Redfield. How I have longed to meet you"

Jason tried to force as much strength and steel into his voice as he could

"And you are?"

Only more mocking laughter answered that

"I have personally come to tell you the results of your trial. I wanted the honour"

Jason glared hard at the door. There had been no trail, no court, no judge. Nothing. Again the cold laughter drifted through the door. Clearly, whoever was out there was enjoying this far too much.

"Aren't you going to ask what trail? Or who made the decision?

"I'm not going to give the satisfaction!" snapped Jason

"Hmm, my Hunters told me that you were a stubborn and tough nut to crack. In fact, they were at your trial and proved that there was only one thing to do with you"

"Oh please do tell!" said Jason sarcastically "I am sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation"

Again he was met with that quiet and sinister laughter. They both knew there was no chair even if neither could see in the dark.

"I wonder just how cavalier your attitude will be in the morning? I wonder how sarcastic you will be? Will you still be defiant when your head is put on the execution block?"

Jason stirred but didn't reply again the sinister laughter came

"What's the matter? No snappy comeback? Has facing your mortality robbed you of your fight? You should be rejoicing! You will be the first public execution in centuries. You will be the warning and example to all the rest of ......your kind"

Again Jason said nothing. What was there to say? He would not beg or plead for his life. In some ways knowing he faced death was better than facing more torture.

"Still no words? Won't you beg for mercy? Hell awaits you my friend. The final words you will ever hear I n this world will be off with his head!"

When Jason still remained quite there was a growl of displeasure and then the flap slammed shut. Jason rested his chin on his knees again but actually had a smile on his face. He had robbed the stranger of the satisfaction of tormenting him. Now he knew what awaited him. He would stand tall and not show fear. In a few hours' time he would come face to face with Odin. He would meet his god, his leader. Asgard awaits.