Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Six months ago: Midgard

Jason whispered a quiet prayer to Odin begging for the strength to die well. His plan was set, it was mad, suicidal and only had one chance of working. With a roar of fury, Jason shoved the bishop into the central Witch Hunter sending them both sprawling to the ground. Jason didn't pause or even give them a second glance, he was relying on the element of surprise and so far it was working. He already had one of the chairs in his hands and was slamming it into the face of the second Witch Hunter. The chair shattered into kindling but it knocked the Hunter backwards. Jason grabbed another chair and repeated the process on the third hunter then he turned and leapt up onto the altar, grabbing one of the golden candle stick holders. With his back to the wall, Jason let out a cry of despair. The three Hunters were already back on their feet and regained their composure. They had the altar surrounded. The altar was more like a miniature stage, all four of them could have stood on it, although it would leave very little room to manoeuvre. A crystal clarity descended on Jason in that moment, there was no way he was leaving here alive. All he could do was hurt them as much as possible before they killed him.

The three Witch Hunters moved with alien synchronicity and made their move to climb up onto the altar. Jason swung the candle stick with all his might and brought it down onto the skull of the hunter in front of him. There was a hideous sound of crunching bone and then the hunter dropped backwards. Jason hardly noticed, he had already turned on the second hunter. Candle stick held in both hands, Jason charged forward aiming at the hunter's neck. His momentum sent them both toppling off of the altar, the impact snapping the hunter's neck as Jason landed on top of him. As he looked own Jason distantly thought. So they can be killed then?

The slight moment of pause cost him, ice cold hands wrapped around his neck, Jason thrashed and struggled but the Witch Hunters grip was like a vice. Bishop Leo III cry for mercy actually made Jason pause in his struggling and look. Two more Witch Hunters had entered the chapel and held the bishop between them. Jason wondered why, what had the bishop done? A spiteful satisfaction came over Jason, he was going to die then that was certain but if the bishop was going to get it too then that was a bonus.

The witch hunters grip continued to tighten and the world began to darken, the last thing Jason saw was a terrified bishop being dragged away. Jason actually smiled at the sight before everything went black.