Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Six months ago: Midgard

Jason Redfield had never known such pain in all his life. His starved body was begging for rest and respite, his lungs screamed in protest as his heart thundered in his chest. His hands and arms were bleeding and full of splinters. As he had ran through the gardens, he hurdled every fence he came too. Except the last one, it was little more than three foot tall but it had been completely rotten and shattered under his weight. He had to get up, had to keep moving. The Witch hunters didn't sleep, didn't rest. Nor could he. Ahead of him, the sun was beginning to rise over the cathedral. The massive building seemed to glitter and shine- full of hope and promise. Jason wearily rose to his feet and stood in the shadows. Was this really such a good idea? He thought of Cassie and sent out a silent prayer that she was safe. He took in the empty surroundings and said a final prayer to Odin before making his final run.

Bishop Leo III had been in charge of the cathedral for fifteen years now. He had been a devoted servant to god for all of his forty plus years. He had watched the steady decline in interest in Christianity. He used to lead Sunday worship every week without fail. But as less and less people showed up, the more bishop Leo III left it too his younger counterparts to lead services. People had found new gods, alternative faiths, science and atheism. Now he was witnessing its sudden resurrection. With the discovery of the lost Bible chapter, proclaiming clearly that 02.02.2020 was to be the day of judgement suddenly people believed again. It was in black and white, clearly written, the solid evidence that could not be disputed. At first all church leaders were encouraged to save every soul, convert everyone willing, no matter who they were. There was always going to be groups that would not budge, that would not abandon their beliefs. That's when the witch hunts began. In the year 499 A.D the Christian community came together believing that the year 500 would be the year of Jesus's return. They gathered and formed a great purging. Any non-believer or Pagan was put to death, evil had to be purged from the lands before Jesus could come again. Of course the year 500 came and went with no return of the saviour. Similar events happened in the years 1000 A.D and 1500 A.D with the same results and now this new found chapter suggested that the year 2020 was actually going to be 2000 A.D and so the madness would start again, more killings more violence. Bishop Leo didn't approve of this approach, it was not the way in his mind. Why would God and Jesus thank you for striking down your fellow brother? Why would they thank or reward you for being a murderer? All will be judged. The good book says so. So why try and cast judgment on your fellow brother? Of course the Bishop kept these thoughts to himself. A religious fever was sweeping the world and there was no room for rational thought or reason.

The front doors squealed open, dragging the bishop's attention away from his dark thoughts. The cathedral wasn't open to the public for hours yet. Muttering quietly to himself, he began making his way towards the doors. Unaware that he was heading on a path that would alter his life forever, or that his whole faith was about to be tested to its very breaking point.

Bishop Leo III thought he knew what hell was, his bible made it very clear. In his younger days he had travelled to war torn countries to give what aid and support he could. He had seen true cruelty and suffering in this world. He walked with a limp because he wore a cilice, to remind him of how even Jesus suffered. However when the bishop walked into the Nave, he had to re-evaluate his whole perceptions of Hell. Standing in the isle between the neat rows of pews was a man who looked like he had crawled straight out of Hell. His clothes were filthy and torn, his hair was matted and dirty, unshaven face covered in cuts and dried blood. The bishop crossed himself before he began walking towards the man. "I'm sorry sir but we are not open until 9 A.M, I must ask you to leave"

Jason stood as still as a statue, his blue eyes blazed from his mask of dirt and grime. "Sir? I am no sir. I will not be going anywhere. I need food, shelter and..." he gestured at his filthy state "Maybe a wash"

The bishop shifted uncomfortably under that fierce glare. "I'm sorry, I cannot help you. There is a shelter for the homeless.....it is not far from here"

Jason began to slowly advance on the bishop, his anger boiling in his veins

"I am not homeless! I seek sanctuary. I need a place to rest and regroup"

Bishop Leo closed his eyes and rubbed at his temples, he could feel one of his migraines coming on. This evil looking man had just used the magic word. Sanctuary. It was his duty to provide food and shelter for any who came seeking, no matter who or what they were. But this man looked pure evil. What was he running from? Why was he covered in blood? What kind of wicked person was this? "I really think you would be better off trying the shelter"

"NO!" Jason paused and studied the bishop "I know your religion preacher, I know it is your duty to provide for those who have need, to care for your fellow man. Judge not, lest ye be judged. Will you stand there in the house of your god and deny me?" Bishop Leo III was a pale man by nature but now he had gone as white as a sheet. Who was this devil? To stand in the house of god and turn his own teachings against the bishop? He closed his eyes and made a decision. Maybe some food and clean clothes would be enough to send this man on his way? The bishop crossed himself again and raised his eyes to the ceiling before saying. "Very well, follow me. I shall show you to the bathroom and then find you something clean to wear.

Bishop Leo III sat at his small dining table with hands folded in his lap. Jason sat opposite him and had begun to reach for food as soon as it was put in front of him. He sat there, shovelling it into his mouth like a man who hadn't eaten for months. The bishop frowned and said. "Do you mind if I say grace?"

Jason looked up, gravy dribbling down his chin. He gave the bishop a murderous glare. "Only if you say it out loud"

The bishop shuddered as Jason tore a chunk of bread from the loaf and shovelled it into his mouth. Yes the devil had come for dinner. While Jason had been in the bathroom, Bishop Leo had hidden all of his best silverware and any valuable items. As he sat at the table and said a silent prayer, the bishop was sure he had done the right thing. Afterwards, the bishop looked up and said. "I guess you are not a Christian then?" Jason's reply came through a mouthful of food "Hell no!" the bishop looked away in disgust as food sprayed all over the table. He needed to get this devil out of his home as quickly as possible. "You must be aware that the end of days is coming? Only the saved shall go to heaven, the sinners will be judged. Have you considered converting to Christianity? God will forgive all your sins"

The look that Jason gave was pure evil, he spat his mouthful of food back out onto the plate and shouted "Never!"

Bishop Leo could only gape at the barbaric display of manners. Jason began shovelling down food again and chasing it with a glass of watered down wine. "So you don't believe then?"

This time Jason actually swallowed before replying "Oh I believe, I am probably more devout than you. Do not doubt that for one second preacher man. Odin is my god, he always has been and always will be. Nothing will ever change that so spare me your sermons"

The bishop held up his hands in surrender. Yes his was indeed dining with the devil. The two of them spent the rest of the meal in silence.