Ch.1 Solo Friday Night

This story takes place last year, before One Direction became such a hit in America.

"Please fasten your seatbelts and stay seated until the light comes on," The overly enthusiastic flight attendant instructed the passengers. This was it. I was on my way to my first year at college, half a world away. I would be studying pre-law here. Sure, there were tons of colleges in the USA that I could study pre-law, but I had always wanted to live in London. When I was accepted, there was practically no other option for me. My mind was set. I was nervous, but once I put my headphones in and started listening to my new favorite bad, 2am Club, I was starting to feel a little better. I slowly drifted off into sleep when I was woken up 2 hours later to a nudge in my right side.

"Excuse me, I was wondering if I could sit here for the rest of the flight? The guy sitting next to me won't stop snoring." A cheery girl with a slight british accent asked.

"Yeah, it's all yours. My name's Taylor by the way," I smiled and held out my hand. She politely shook it and told me her name was Erin.

"So, what were you doing in the States?" I asked casually.

"Well, my dad's the manager for this boy band that's really popular in the UK, and he and I went to go try to get them noticed in America. They were on the X Factor here. You know, kind of like the British version of American Idol? They got 3rd place, but Simon Cowell saw major potential. Maybe you've heard of them. Does One Direction ring a bell?"

"Hmm..." I thought about it for a minute and replied, "I don't think so. Are they like the new NSync or something? I chuckled.

"Basically. They're actually pretty good. And not to mention, pretty damn irrestistable." She said as she winked at me.

We continued to have small talk for the rest of the flight. She told me that she was also going to be studying as a freshman in college at the same University as me. I was relieved to know that I would know at least one person on campus.The plane landed after a couple hours, and Erin and I exchanged numbers so we could meet up for coffee or lunch sometime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked into my dorm room. It was simple and clean. I've always liked simple things. I don't handle chaos too well. I heard a faint buzz coming from my purse. I took out my phone and read the text.

Hey, it's Erin! :) Want to go to get some lunch tomorrow? I could see us really getting along, and was excited to hang out with her again. 

Sure! Can't wait. I'll meet you at the Nando's on 42nd street at noon?-Taylor

Sounds good to me! See you then

I put my phone back in my purse and started putting my bed together. After about an hour of unpacking, decorating, and putting things in order I felt my stomach grumble. I forgot to eat.. It was about 8pm, so I decided to go grab something quick. I put my hair in a messy bun, put on a pair of skinny jeans,a loose, gray razorback tanktop, a black cardigan, and my flats and went to the local pub. It was crowded, but that was to be expected on a Friday night. The waitress took me to a table in the back corner. It was secluded and I decided to text some friends from home. I hadn't noticed that there was someone standing behind me until I closed my phone. I jerked and let out a tiny squeal and the young, and handsome might I add, man smirked.

"Sorry.I didn't mean to startle you, but how is it that a beautiful girl like you is sitting all alone here on a Friday night?" The tall, dark haired man asked. I was hoping he couldn't see me blush. I'm a sucker for accents, and his deep voice made it even better.

"I just arrived here today. I'm Taylor. Taylor Boss." I smiled and he put out his hand to shake mine.

"Liam Payne," He stated with a slight twinkle in his eye,"Where are you from?"

"I'm from Michigan actually. I'll be a freshman in college here this Fall."

"I see. Well,it's my pleasure meeting you, Taylor," When he said my name I wished he would never stop. His accent. His face. His mannerisms. He was beautiful. And I knew I had to see him again. "Do you mind if I ask for your number? This way, you won't be caught alone out and about on a Friday night?" He winked and chuckled. I handed him my number and he left with a couple of guys. I finished my burger and went back to the dorm.

"Erin?!" 

"Taylor?!"  

Turns out Erin is my new roomate. I was ecstatic! I couldn't wait to tell her the story about Liam. I helped her unpack and set everything up.

"You're never going to believe it. I've already met the most amazingly beautiful man tonight. His name's Liam, and he's got this deep voice that makes me want to hear him talk for ages."

"Liam..who?" Erin questioned with a slight smile.

"Liam Payne, I believe is what he said."

"Oh wow! Seriously?! He's in the band, One Direction. That boy band I was telling you about on the plane." Erin was pressing me about every single detail about my run in with Liam. And to be honest, I didn't mind. I was too excited to care how many questions she was asking. I met a man that I can see myself having a relationship with, and that, alone, was good enough for me. I liked him before I knew he was in a band so it's just icing on the cake.