Chapter 15

Song: "Down" by Blink 182

Lexi's POV:

I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. I wanted to scream, but my voice had vanished. I wanted to run, but my legs had become stationary. I wanted to breathe, but my lungs wouldn't function.

"Lexi, it's going to be okay," Kane tried to comfort me as he pulled me into a hug, but nothing could rid my anxiety.

"What if… he, um… leaves?" I choked on my words that I was almost sure would turn into sobs and tears would shortly follow. But they didn't, I remained in a paralyzed state.

Kane took me by the shoulders and looked me in my stunned eyes. "Liam loves you. He is madly in love with you. He is your husband and was more than willing to be as a declaration of his love for you. He will not leave you. He may be scared, he may be angry at first, he may need time to cope with this; but he will not leave you. Got that?"

I slowly nodded trying to make myself believe his words.

"Everything happens for a reason, Lex," he continued not breaking our gaze. "You are equipped to handle this. You are going to be a fantastic mother, I promise. And you have so many people around you who would be more than willing to help out. I mean, one of my jobs is to go dressed as a character to children's parties and sing and play with them! So you already have one person who loves kids who would gladly help out any time you needed it." He gave me a reassuring smile.

"Thank you," was all I could say before hugging him once more.

"Now shall I take you home?"

"I don't think I can yet." I admitted, still in complete fear of what Liam's reaction may be. "But if you don't mind, could you take me to my friend's flat that is actually just a few blocks away from here?"

"Of course," he smiled.

We were back in his car, and I gave him directions to the flat inhabited by the first person that popped into my head who I could go to in order seek advice and comfort. Kane had been such a good friend, and very reassuring; however, I needed to know from someone who knew Liam very well that things would be okay. Someone who knew me and all of my flaws and bad sides to tell me I could do it. Someone who had woken me up early in the mornings to witness my tired, groggy, morning self, and someone who witnessed my on-the-spot thinking. Someone who had trained me and knew my weaknesses and strengths. Harry.

I knocked on the door and waited for what felt like an eternity for him to answer.

"Lexi?" he opened the door with his hair ruffled and what looked like pizza sauce in the corner of his mouth.

"Hey Harry, I'm sorry to… I just…" I fiddled with my hands not knowing quite what to say.

He opened his door wider and flicked his head toward the inside of his flat. "Come on in."

When I entered the cozy apartment, some action movie was paused on the TV and a large box of half-eaten pizza laid open on the coffee table. Suddenly I felt embarrassed for just barging in on him. "I'm sorry," I began. "I should have called you before I just showed up at your door. I didn't mean to…"