Rip It Off

Author's Note: I could feel book 1 almost ending in a couple of chapters 🧐🖤 Enjoy 💕

Chapter 48

Amber

I got dragged deeper into the dark water. A colorful vision flashed right before my eyes. I no longer saw water. I saw land.

I was running—running fast—breathing fast.

Tall thick trees blurred past me. Everything was dark.

Really dark.

I couldn't see where I was going. I only knew I had to run. I had to because I had no other choice. My overwhelming fear powered my instincts.

A lengthy, white dress bounced with every leap I took. The forest seemed endless and the further I ran, the more I didn't care. Whatever I was running from terrified me. A crackle of a branch snapped from behind. Gasping, I jerked back to look, and my vision ended.

The hands from my ankles released me, and I fought my way back up. I hit the surface, gasping for air. That sudden vision, those cold rigid hands, and floating little girl made me swim faster out of the water. I choked out a sob as I collapsed on the shoreline. My weak, trembling body rested on the wet sand. My back faced the night sky as I cried achingly—spiraled blindly into the world of sadness and shock.

That little girl was in the water. I freaking saw her! She was there! How could she just disappear? And those hands that grabbed me were real! I felt them! What was happening to me? What the hell was going on?

I keep seeing these things. They keep taunting me.

I had no idea what to do.

I cried so much it hurt. My tears fell to the sand.

"Oh my God!" Reece shrieked from far. "Amber!"

I felt her delicate hands comforting my arm and back.

"Oh my God! Are you okay? What happened?"

I didn't have enough strength to move around and look her in the eyes. I left my head on the mushy wet sand and cried harder.

I wanted to leave. I wanted to go back home. I didn't want to explain to anyone what happened. They would think I'm crazy.

"Are you hurt, Amber? You're scaring me."

I whimpered and gulped hard. My eyes were tired and drained—they were like heavy weights trying to be carried. I closed them shut, drowning out my reality. I didn't want to face it any longer. I wanted these crazy things to stop happening. Seconds later, I heard Aiden's voice.

"What's going on?"

"I don't know," said Reece. "She's not saying anything."

She removed her hands from my body, and Aiden's warm hands touched my skin. He gently rubbed my back. His other hand brushed my wet hair to get a glimpse of my face.

"Amber," he whispered softly, closely. "Do you want me to take you home?"

I shifted slightly, managing to nod a little. Tears streamed down my face. I didn't dare look him in the eyes because if I did he would see my pain and start worrying about me more. I didn't want him to worry more than he already was.

He hauled me up in his powerful, secure arms and carried me bridal style. I buried my face against his warm, wet chest. I felt him walking away. And a sense of protection oozed in the air, lingering around his presence. He made me feel safe in his arms.

"Reece, can you open the door and put a towel on the seat," he said.

"Sure."

I heard the click of a door opening and Reece's flip-flops slapping against the pavement.