Presents

Author's note: This is what Aiden's mansion looks like.

Chapter 34

Amber

The cold air was windy. Every time I moved it was impossible for me to feel comfortable. Why did it feel so cold in here? It never did. I ran my hand around the surface of my bed, trying to pull the blanket over me.

I stopped moving my hand and realized that this didn't feel like my bed at all. The surface was solid yet cold—icy cold. I flew my eyes open. My eyes widened. I panicked.

I was outside in the dark. My body laid sideways as I stared at the piles of snow underneath me.

Snow? Why the hell was I outside? Wasn't I in my bedroom?

I scrambled up, jerking my head in every direction. This couldn't be happening to me! No! This couldn't be happening to me! Where the hell was I? What the hell was going on?

Snowflakes fluttered the night sky. I was standing in the midst of a silent, snowy forest. An unfamiliar two-story mansion towered in front of me.

I frowned.

This wasn't my house! Where was my house?

I stumbled back, worried and frightened as my feet sunk deeper into the snow. I wanted to get out of here! I wanted to go back home! I wrapped my arms over my chest, shivering as the violent air smacked my pajamas and hair. I looked around one last time. Even if I wanted to leave, I couldn't. It was too dark outside and too cold. I would suffer from hypothermia or get eaten by wild animals. I turned around, facing the mansion again—my only hope.

Before I walked closer, I examined the modernized home. I had never seen it in my life before, but it was so beautiful—the architecture, the wide glass windows, the three car garage... all of it looked straight from a magazine. Lights were on inside. Somebody must be in there. Maybe they could give me directions.

I quickly walked up the steps toward the large double doors. I lifted my fist to knock, but one of the doors creaked open. A crack of light and undeniable warmth escaped outside. Placing my hand against the door, I slowly pushed it open.

"Hello?"

No answer. But the warmth greeted partial of my skin, begging for my entire body to enter. I nibbled my lip, debating to go in or not. I knew it was disrespectful to barge inside somebody's house, but I had no other option. Hopefully they could understand my situation. And besides what was the worst that could happen? The owner shoots me for trespassing?

Possible...

I took in a deep breath and hoped whoever lived here wasn't a serial killer. Moving slowly, I stepped inside. Warmth covered me like a blanket over my shoulders. It felt like a different atmosphere when I walked inside the living room. The icy stings on my skin melted away. Heartfelt warmth engulfed me. I unfolded my arms when the chattering from my teeth stopped.

"Hello?" I said. "You left your door open."

Silence.

Nobody, but me was in the living room.

"Wow..." I whispered to myself.

Whoever lived in this mansion sure knew how to decorate. White leather, sparkling glass, a fireplace, and massive space summed up everything. My living room looked small compared to this.

I caught a light from the hallway upstairs. I decided to go up there. Out of all the doors from the hallway, only one was open—slightly open.

I gulped, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I knew for a fact someone was in there. The dim light that seeped into the empty hallway proved it. Flattening my hand against the door, I carefully pushed it, opening the door wider.