Rumors

Author's Note: She looks like Amber.  😊

Chapter 2

Amber

I had seen scary movies.

Read scary stories.

Yet it wasn't as frightening as finally experiencing it for myself and now I knew how fear really felt.

Maybe I was just losing my mind. I should head back to sleep, but my body just stood there, immobilized. I felt curiosity and panic chewing at my every thought as I stared out into the night.

I knew what I saw—just like how I knew that old lady called me when I walked by her house.

"Your so stupid, Tommy," I heard from outside.

Down below, a small circular light beamed on the grass and then on the beige wall. Three guys with black hoods on strolled across my backyard.

"I dare you to climb that shit for 20 bucks, Tommy," the guy with the flashlight said.

"Hell no! That's too cheap. I thought we agreed on a higher price." The deeper voice I assumed belonged to Tommy's.

"50 dollars then," the other guy offered.

"Make it a 100 and I'll climb it for you."

Tommy, who was in the middle, glanced at both of them. The two guys nodded.

"Deal. Let's do this shit then," the guy with the flashlight said.

Tommy tried to climb the wall, but his shoes slipped back down.

"Give me a boost," Tommy demanded.

Each guy grabbed one of his legs and gave him a lift. Swiftly, he crossed over the other side.

Oh my God!

Tommy

I was shitting bricks that's what. It was so dark, I couldn't see my pale hands. And it was oddly silent, too. These dumbasses wanted me to see if I wasn't a punk. Well, I proved them wrong.

"Throw the flashlight," I called.

I could hear them laughing as they threw it over. I caught it before it fell on the grass and flashed it up at the wall. Now, how the hell was I suppose to get back up? All of a sudden bushes moved.

I stiffened.

"Who's there?" I demanded, flashing the light at the bushes then to each tree around me.

Silence.

"Yo, guys! How do I get back up?" I shouted.

Silence.

I slowly turned around and stopped dead when a pale hand snatched the flashlight from me.

In disbelief, the person that was standing in front of me was a horrifying reflection of myself, resting their chin on the beaming light and grinning wickedly back at me.

Amber

After I watched the two laughing guys ditch Tommy, a blood-curdling scream pierced through the darkness. And every part of me panicked.

"AH! HELP! GUYS! HELP ME!"

From the other side, a flashlight dropped and turned off. Tommy kept screaming and I didn't know what to do.

By the time I reached for my phone to call 911, he desperately yelled again. My head snapped up at the same time Tommy's body flew over the wall. He flew in midair and landed on my backyard with a hard thud. He scrambled back to his feet and sprinted away from the wall—his face horrified as he never glanced back again.