25. Free Fallin

"I love you..."

"What?!"

"What?!"

"You said you love me!"

"Ilusyunado!"

I laughed hard everytime I remember that scene at the park. Her face was so red and her eyes were so wide. I've asked her again but she said that she didn't say anything but then --- I am a lawyer and Bathseeba is a bad liar. I heard her loud and clear. She said she loves me.

Nakangisi lang ako habang nakaupo sa hapag. It was Mama's fortieth day. We will be having a small dinner party for her. I was reluctant at first but Papa said that it's for the queen and that she wikk be happy watching us from up above. I miss her still. All of us were still trying to cope up with the loas but we're getting there. We hope that we are getting there.

"Ares, get the wine. Hindi iyong nakaupo ka lang diyan!" Sigaw ni Hera sa akin. Napilitan akong tumayo para kunin ang wine na sinasabi ni Hera. Nasa cooler iyon at pinapalamig. I saw Papa walked inside the kitchen. He was wearing an all black suite. Napabuntong hininga ako. I wondered when Papa will be okay. Halos araw - araw siyang pumupunta kay Mama sa sementeryo. Ngumiti siya sa akin.

"Son, where is your girlfriend. The one your mama introduced." Bigla ay napatitig ako kay Papa. He has this big smile pero di iyon umaabot sa mga mata niya.

I know why.I didn't bother asking. I just smiler back.

"She's at work, Pa." Sagot ko. Napatango si Papa.

"Sana pinapunta mo dito. Natuwa sa kanya ang mama mo noon. She couldn't stop talking about her. I like her for you."

Hindi mawala ang ngiti ko. Inaasahan ko na iyon kay Papa. Alam ko na lahat sinasabi ni Mama sa kanya kaya ganoon na lamang tuwa nang malaman iyon. Hindi ko nga alam kung bakit ako natutuwa ako kapag napag-uusapan si Bathseeba.

"Gusto ninyo sunduin ko siya, Pa?" Biglaang tanong ko. Papa just smiled.

"Ilagay mo na iyang wine sa dining. Hinihintay ka ng ate mo." Ngumisi siya sa akin at saka tumalikod. Napapangiti lang ako. Inilabas ko ang phone ko para i-text si Bathseeba. I have her number. I took in from Cedes' phone. I was still smiling when I texted her.

To: The Virgin

Subject: Ares

Msg: Have you eaten?

I sent the message and went back to the dining table with Hera. Nakaupo na si Papa sa silya.Si Hermes naman ay pinatay ang phone niya at saka naupo na rin. Wr were all smiling. Inilagay naman ni Hera ang malaking layered cake sa gitna ng mesa. She sat down too. Hera is now the only girl in the family ---- kagabi ay umiiyak siya.dahil hindi niya kamukha si Mama. Hera looks so much like dad. Last night she suddenly wished that she looks like mom but that impossible --- kanto pa lang ng mukha niya Lukas Consunji na. Kung sabagay lahat naman kaming magkakapatid ay si Papa ang kamukha.

"Magpray muna tayo." Papa said. Hermes lead the prayer.

"God above, we know that our queen is now with you and that you are taking care of her. But we miss her. Our hearts sometimes can't handle the pain that it turns into tears. We miss her and we want her back, dear Lord but that is impossible now.All we could do is be happy for her. Take care of her soul and please send her our love ---especially our father's love. Thank you."

When Hermes finished, Hera and Papa's eyes were teary. I was just looking at something trying to be strong. I wanted to cry but I can't cry in front of my family. We smiled at each other and started the dinner. Hera cut the layered cake she baked. If there's one thing that Hera can do --- she can bake and cook good food.