Chapter 40: Three Girls and A Pageant

"Look Stefan, I gotta go." Caroline said as she put the phone down. "You know when most people leave town, they go for more than a week."

"Yes, well when most people leave town, their brother doesn't get held hostage, their sister doesn't kill a hunter and get a curse, that same sister doesn't kill that same brother, that same curse isn't cured by that same brother becoming a hunter by killing a vampire and that same sister doesn't break up with her boyfriend." I rattled off to Caroline as she pulled me into a nervous hug.

"Yeah that's most of it." She told me. "But what else can you expect from Mystic Falls?"

"Iliana?" Elena exclaimed in surprise as she saw me. "You came!"

"Well not just for you, I owe Carol a favour. But mostly for you." I said as I brought her into a tight hug.

"Now that the pleasantries are over..." Caroline said as she pulled the two of us apart. "You know I would never pick sides, but are you sure that this is what you want? Because Stefan is your soulmate."

"I disagree completely, Team Damon for life." I told her. "I'm definitely picking sides."

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense." Elena said sadly.

"Hell yeah! Delena is a go!" I yelped doing a victory dance and receiving glares from them both.

"I know that." Caroline told her. "Stefan filled me in. He is heartbroken."

"Well what was she supposed to do? Lie to him?" I told her.

"No, she wasn't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into her new and confused vampire heart!" Caroline snapped.

"Well she did! And that's exactly what she is—confused." I replied to the irritation of my twin.

"I'm still here, guys." She said grumpily. "Look, I just need to figure out what these feelings actually mean."

"Excuse me, I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants."

"You're professor Shane." Elena said and the three of us shared a wary look.

"That's right. Professor by day; pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I'm apparently awarding a scholarship."

"Just go there." Caroline told him and he nodded before walking away.

"Isn't he the one who told Damon how to break the hunter's curse?" I asked the two.

"He's also the one that has Bonnie so obsessed with practicing magic that she bailed on pageant prep." Caroline grumbled.

"And now he's judging Miss Mystic?" Elena asked sceptically. "Jack of all trades or kind of creepy?"

"In this town," I began with an exasperated sigh. "It's always creepy."

~Caroline POV~

Caroline sighed as Klaus walked up to her and before he could even utter a word, she held up her hand to silence him.

"Away. Busy."

"Sorry but in return for one of my hybrids, I was owed a favour." Klaus told her with a smirk. "Today I'm cashing in. Tomorrow rather."

"Fine." She sighed. "You have two minutes to tell me what you want."

A/N: What did Klaus want from Caroline? Comment your guess! I hope you enjoyed and please vote, comment and follow if you did! Love you as always! X