Chapter 20: Don't Shoot The Captive

Elena entered the Salvatore boarding house, still completely in tears. Stefan woke up with minutes to spare and if he hadn't she would be dead right now. Murdered by her own sister.

"Elena what's wrong?" Caroline asked her.

"She hates me Caroline." The doppelganger answered, sobbing tirelessly. "She tried to kill me. She nearly did. She had to kill Finn. She killed all of them and now she wants me dead. My own sister. And this is all my fault. It's all my fault."

Caroline brought her into a scared hug. She knew that if Iliana had tried to kill Elena, then she would try to kill her too. Elena's phone began to ring and she picked it up. A call from Bonnie.

"Hey. Where have you been?" She asked trying to talk through the tears.

"Klaus has Damon." Bonnie told her.

"Klaus should be dead." Elena said nervously. "They should all be dead, we killed Finn."

"No Elena, he forced me to unlink them. He's still alive." Bonnie relied.

"Okay, where's Damon?" Elena said starting to feel hopeful for her relationship with her sister.

"At Klaus' mansion. It's bad, Elena, he threatened Jeremy. And my mom." Bonnie said and she too started to choke up.

"Are you alright Bonnie?" Elena asked worriedly.

"I don't know. I'm sorry, I have to go. I just – I have to – I have to go." Bonnie hung up the phone and whilst Elena felt bad for her friend, she knew what had to be rectified first.

"Caroline, your phone." Elena said hurriedly as she dialled her sister's number and ran upstairs to take the call.

"Hey Care." Iliana said when she answered. "Calling to tell me where you are so I can kill you too?"

"Iliana, it's me." Elena said quietly.

"Do you want me to kill you again?" Iliana growled.

"No, Iliana. They're alive. Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah."

"What?" Iliana said in surprise.

"Bonnie unlinked them." Elena told her happily. "You didn't kill them! They're fine! All of them!"

"Except Finn." Iliana told her.

"Iliana please, I'm sorry." Elena said, beginning to sob again.

"Why do you do this?" Iliana asked angrily. "You try to do something that you know will hurt me, then when it fails, you say sorry. You hurt me. More than anyone ever has or ever will."

"I just want us to be normal again." Elena pleaded.

"Sorry Elena but we lost the chance to fight about you losing my favourite blue t-shirt when you tried to kill people I care about." Iliana barked down.

"I love you." Elena sobbed.

"I don't love you." Iliana mumbled. "At this point, I'm closer to hating you than I am to loving you."

"Don't say that!"

"Why not?" Iliana continued. "Not once have I ever tried to kill Damon or Stefan but time and time again you go after the Mikaelsons. Why can't you just not get involved? I stay out of the drama because of you but you can't seem to do the same for me. Instead you make sure you're the focal point. Or you force me to be. You let me kill Klaus and Elijah today. Two people that have done all that was within their power to keep me safe."

"But they're alive." Elena said hopefully.

"No thanks to you." Iliana said before letting out a long sigh. "Goodbye Elena."