Chapter 38: Mission Impossible

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I wiped my tears away and looked at Klaus who had spontaneously apparated.

"What am I doing in my own home?" He countered as he sped and sat down beside me.

"I thought you left."

"I came back." He replied with a shrug. "Don't worry, not for you or even your sister. Apparently, there was an attack on Tyler. Seeing as hybrids are a dying breed, I need to keep as many of them alive as I can."

"What do you mean they're a dying breed?" I asked him.

"Well your sister's a vampire and I'm certainly not using you to make anymore." He answered casually.

"You confuse me." I said as I rested my head in the crook of his shoulder.

"Care to elaborate?"

"You make me want to love you and hate you at the same time." I added, making him chuckle.

"I'd take confusion any day over the way you make me feel." He responded.

"And how is that?" I asked him.

"Stupid." He answered with a straight expression. "Falling in love with you was the most idiotic thing I ever did."

"Gee, thanks." I said with a roll of my eyes.

"I'm serious." He continued. "I had to kill you, I sent you away so you would be safe and all that resulted in was you coming to hate me. And even still, you plague my mind."

"We weren't supposed to work out, were we?" I asked sadly.

"I wouldn't be so sure." He told me. "Because against all odds, you still cared about me enough to fight for my life. You cared enough to say goodbye to me now." He said, finally turning to face me. "That's why you're here isn't it? You're leaving."

"How did you know?" I asked him in surprise.

"I know you." He answered with a sad smile, before placing a kiss on the top of my head. "Perhaps it'll give you a chance to realise how much better I am in comparison to my brother."

"I wish I could choose." I told him truthfully. "But you give me things that Elijah could never give to me. But I also get things from Elijah that I could never get from you. And I can't decide what I want more."

His phone began to ring and he rolled his eyes when he saw who was calling. Stefan. He answered the call and began to grumble down the phone. His eyes widened in horror and he turned to me with a sigh before hanging up the phone and pulling me up with him.

"We have to go." He said as he dragged me out of the house. "Next stop on your goodbye tour."

"What?" I asked in confusion. "Klaus, what is it?"

"It appears as if your sister has been given a hefty dose of wolf venom." He told me as he entered my car. "And I suppose I'm going to heal her."

"You are?" I asked in surprise.

"I care about you, you care about her, do you see where I'm going with this?" He answered reluctantly. "Now let's go before I change my mind."

"Thank you, Klaus." I told him earnestly.

"Yes, yes, I'm amazing, I know." He said with a smug smile. I put my hand down on his lap and he took it and squeezed tightly. And in that moment, I knew that being his redemption didn't seem so bad a fate. But I also knew that choosing between him and Elijah would be next to impossible.

**********************************************************************************

"You came!" Stefan said in relief as we came into the room where Elena lay on the bed weakly.

"I did." Klaus said with a roll of his eyes. "And for the record, one voicemail is just as effective as nine." I rushed to my sister's side and took her hand in mine and squeezed tightly.

"Iliana." She said with a weakened smile.

"Hey, hey."

"I think I'm dying." She said with a large coughing fit.

"Shh, don't say that. You'll be alright, okay? Okay?" I said soothing her.

"What's wrong love?" Klaus asked feigning affection for her.

"She has werewolf venom in her system." Stefan said quickly. "You know you're the only one that can heal her Klaus. Please."

"And what would you have done if I were no longer here? Hm?" Klaus said with a cruel smirk. "If you and your friends had succeeded in ridding the world of me? Let's play that game for a moment, shall we?"

"NO!" I said hurriedly. "You're already here Klaus and I'm still scared that she's gonna die. I can't start thinking to what would've happened if you'd—if you'd—"

"It's okay." Klaus told me soothingly before biting into his wrist and pressing it against my sister's mouth until she was fully healed.

I pulled him up and gave him a tight hug. I gave Elena a look and she nodded before taking Stefan outside, leaving just me and Klaus.

"This really is goodbye." I said with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

"For now." He said with a sad smile as he wrapped my waist in his arms and I slung my arms around his neck. "But I'm not dying anytime soon. And I'm still unconvinced you won't see the many perks to vampirism. But even if you don't, we'll meet again. I promise."

He pulled me in for a kiss and I couldn't help but admire the way he took what he wanted. He always knew what the goal was and he was willing to do what was necessary to reach that goal.

"For old times' sake." He said with a chuckle as he pulled away.

"I'm not sure I can watch you leave." I told him as I bit my lip sheepishly.

"In that case..." He said with a smirk and I blinked only to open my eyes and find him gone.

"Goodbye, Klaus."

A/N: I hope you enjoyed! If you did, please vote, comment and follow! X