Chapter 32: Just A Spoonful of Sedative Helps the Messenger Go Down

~Elena POV~

"So Stefan?" Matt asked as he gave Elena some tea. She took a sip and grimaced, turning to her friend with a frown. "Sorry, I over-honeyed."

"He saved my life, you know. I never told you that. The night that my parents' car went off the bridge, Stefan was the one that saved me." Elena told him, a wistful smile on her face.

"So you feel like you owe him?"

"No, it's not that. It's–after the accident, I kind of felt like I didn't know how to live anymore, like I didn't want to, but then being with Stefan...it just...somehow I figured it out." She said with a small smile. "And that's what love should be. You should love the person that makes you glad that you're alive."

"So what's the issue?"

"Damon." Elena answered. "When I'm with him, he just consumes me. And I know that I can't love them both, I know that it's wrong, but I–when I choose one then I'll lose the other. And I don't want to lose anyone else. I–I just–I wish that I had my mom here to give me some advice."

"Or Iliana to do it for you, huh?" Matt said with a chuckle.

"So what do you think of this?" Iliana asked Elena as she stood in front of the mirror in a skin-tight black dress. "I wanna make out with someone tonight, but I also don't wanna get manhandled."

"Mom and Dad are letting us go?" Elena questioned in surprise.

"I didn't even ask." Iliana replied, rolling her eyes at her naïve twin. "I'm the trouble child, obviously I'm sneaking out. I have a reputation to keep in this family."

"You're not the trouble child."

"Well, I'm certainly not the golden girl." Iliana said, before looking back at herself in the mirror. "What about you?"

"I'm gonna ask. Matt wants me to go." She told her.

"Golden boy Matty asking you to be bad." Iliana said with a smirk. "Skipping out on family night, I never. He's probably gonna ask you to marry him."

"You don't think?" Elena asked her in horror.

"No, obviously not." Iliana said, rolling her eyes at her once again. "You so clearly don't want to be with him."

"That's not true." Elena said defensively but Iliana only laughed harder.

"When you two break up, can I have him?" She asked.

"Iliana, that's my boyfriend you're talking about. I haven't broken up with him yet." Elena growled.

"What is it with you?" Iliana queried, turning to face her sister in frustration. "You want him, but you don't want him. You're gonna break up with him, but you're not gonna break up with him. You're so indecisive! At this point, maybe you'd be better off getting him to break up with you."

"You don't think you'd be able to help me do that It Girl?" Elena asked her sister. "You know, whip up some popular girl magic?"

"I'll make you a deal." Iliana said with a grin. "You get Mom and Dad to let us skip family night and I'll do everything that is within my power to break you two up tonight."

"What's going on?" Elena said as she woke up in the passenger's seat of Matt's truck, she thought back to her last waking memory and realised what had occurred. "The tea. You drugged me. You drugged me!"

"I'm sorry, Elena." Matt replied with a deep sigh. "But you're right, okay? You don't have any parents to tell you what's right or wrong, you've got me and Jeremy and a bunch of vampires fighting a war you shouldn't be in the middle of. I'm getting you out of town. We're going to Iliana's, and you her and Jeremy can live there safely."