18.

NIALL.

TWO MONTHS LATER

Niall couldn't explain it. He somehow felt proud of himself for actually making a good friend, and also for letting someone get so close to him despite his nature.

His late friend Zayn was the only one Niall could remotely refer as friends too, and that too was because of the boy's shared love for similar video games and similar social status in their freshmen years, and not in their mental compatibility.

But with Marcel, it was completely different. Niall still didn't want to admit it, but that damn social project at the start of the semester did them both good. Niall found a sincere friend through it, which he could have never expected. Niall and the nerd despised each other before, but now they finally saw they are actually not that different. He and Marcel also scored an A+ on that project if you were wondering.

And Marcel Styles. The nerd who broke through Niall's walls, and who Niall can now safely say he's comfortable to be hinself around. Because he somehow trusts Marcel now. Trust him to not judge him over his choice of fashion, over his mannerisms, over his sexuality and most of all, he's a pretty entertaining guy when you mess with him.

Over the months following their project, Niall and Marcel's friendship had gotten stronger, something no one could have ever expected. They bonded over their mutual interests, and they understood the other in the best way, in the way no one else could.

Both boys would never admit it, but they enjoyed each other's company, and Niall always looked forward to teasing Marcel. It had become the highlight of his days.

In college that day, Niall spotted Marcel and Louis in their usual spot in front of the library building --sitting on the front steps-- and jogged over to them.

He has to admit. Louis wasn't a bad guy either. He was actually fun to be around when you get to know him. And after getting to know him a bit, he and Niall had slowly clicked.

And the lilac haired boy was still regretful of his stupidity. He just had to open up a little, and in the course of almost two months, he managed to gain almost two friends.

"Hey guys. Hi Princess," Niall said, smirking as Marcel looked up with a scowl, which slowly wavered into a smile, and Louis waved cutely.

"Hey Punky."

Niall groaned. "A new one? You're getting very original with these," Niall fake-pouted, plopping down beside Marcel, who playfully nudged Niall's shoulder with his.

This was a thing between them now. They would come up with nicknames for each other every few days or so, each trying to one-up the other in originality. They both sucked at it, but oh well, it was adorable.

"Well. What can I say? I'm a chic nerd. I'm original," Marcel grinned, scuffing up his collar as Niall rolled his eyes playfully.

"A cute nerd," Niall cooed, and Marcel swatted at him.

Louis groaned from beside them, boredly looking up from his phone. "Why don't you two just snog already?"

"Louis!" Marcel whined, cheeks burning, and at the same time Niall said thoughtfully, "That's actually not a bad idea," which made Marcel blush even more.

It was funny actually. Niall loved to act like this around Marcel, but he knew they were just playing around. Marcel's reactions were too damn funny. And Niall wasn't afraid to be himself around others anymore. He actually did worry what others would think about him before, he put up a front for them. But not anymore. Marcel inspired him.

And by being himself, he means riling up Marcel with his cheeky comments and watching him blush and stutter adorably.

"Enough about teasing us friends," Marcel snorted at Louis. "Who are you texting now Boobear?"

Louis scowled. "One, don't call me that. And two, it's Addison. Just trying to get him off my back-"

"The techie guy you've been screwin'?" Niall popped in, and Louis sputtered.

"God no! I'm completely straight-"

"But wanna experiment with Addison," Niall drawled, smirking.

"Once, Horan. I kissed the guy once!" Louis hollered in defense while pointing a finger, standing up, and sat back down when he saw he had gathered some attention.

"But you did," Niall sing-songed.

"I was curious and he smells nice," Louis grumbled.

"You shouldn't have shown us the picture then, Lou," Marcel added in amusement.

Louis groaned. "You practically check my phone like a nosy mom, Marce. And that guy is always kik-ing me that goddamn picture and why did I even ask that jerk to kiss me..." Louis grumbled to himself, picking up his bookbag, slinging it over his shoulder.

"See you guys in Mech. Try not to jump each other!" Louis called out loudly, and skipped away, grinning evilly.

"I hate him sometimes," Marcel grumbled.

"Why? Because he speaks the truth?" Niall teased.

"No! Honestly, I liked it better when you were all moody."

"Trust me. I am still moody. I've just grown immune to you."

"So you're saying I'm a pro-generative virus that you gradually become immune to?" Marcel gasped indignantly.

"Nerd alert!" Niall said with a grin, and Marcel blushed.

"Oops."

The bell for their first class rang and they both sprung up to make their way to class.

"Remember our not-date?" Niall asked suddenly and Marcel raised an eyebrow.

"The free coupons?"

Niall grinned, his blue eyes shining. "Yep. And that was a shitty one. So now I'm asking you on a real date. Whad'ya say?" Niall asked, half serious, half joking.

Marcel stopped in his tracks, staring at Niall to gauge if he was joking or not. He gulped. "Are you crazy?"

Niall snorted. "No. Just. Let's see how this goes yeah? Louis' always on our case, trying to set us up. Let's give the bloke a field day."

And looking at Niall's hopeful expression, Marcel sighed in helplessness. "Fine Horan. But you pay."

"Deal," Niall nodded, as they entered the seminar hall. "Oh and dress nicely Styles," Niall winked, making his way to the back of the hall to take his secluded seat.

______________

Eeeep REAL DATE NEXT!