Chapter Thirteen

**Meg’s POV**

Its been a few weeks. I got a summer job, and soon decided to save up to visit someplace. London, Paris, Greece… anywhere but here.

My mom and dad are continuously on my ass about leaving early but I don’t care. I know I made the right decision. My little sister loved the gift, and has, on many occasions, tried to steal my phone to call one of them.

I work forty hours a week for a hotel. I work the front desk. It’s about half an hour from where I live in a city, and it’s really, really nice.

After a few more weeks of saving I had enough for a one way ticket… back to Ireland. I ignored it and kept working hard.

Everywhere I look something reminds me of him. Whether it’s a girl with his face on a tee shirt or someone with blue eyes. Maybe I get the occasional person who leaves a nice tip for the bellhop, and sometimes I just think about him. 

Has he moved on? I know their tour starts soon, will he meet someone new? How are the guys? They’ve all told me they miss me. I kept in touch with them, I just can’t bring up the courage to dial the phone and call Niall, after that one time when I got home. I shredded the note he wrote me, but kept the picture. It’s rough. I still like him a lot, and every day I debate on using my money and flying into Dublin and calling him, telling him that I’m coming back, that I’m on my way.

But then I reason with myself and remind myself that Greece or France or Italy is waiting for me.

On this particular day, Niall kept popping into my head. During my break I went to the restaurant and ordered some pizza, I finished eating and still had twenty minutes, so I called Harry.

The phone rang a few times before he picked up. Before I even let him speak I started.

"It’s happening again, Haz. I feel like I need to go back, but it’d be a waste, now. You’re all leaving for tour next week, and I only have enough money for a one way ticket, and I know how stupid it would be and all my feelings would just implode on me and I’d be stupid and act stupid and it’d just be awful. Please, reassure me?" I asked, sitting at my table with my head in my hand.

"I can’t," The familiar voice said. My eyes went wide as realization hit me. Niall answered Harry’s phone?

"Niall?" I asked. "Yeh," He said. I groaned and let my head fall to the table. "I gotta go," I said, about to hang up when his voice stopped me.

"Stop! Please, just… talk to me, it’s been so long. I miss you," He said. "Niall, what are you doing with my phone?" Harry’s voice asked in the background.

I stayed silent, waiting for Harry to take the phone. I heard a clang then Niall’s voice. “You were talking to her? And you didn’t even tell me!?” He asked loudly. “What are you talking about?” Harry asked.

"Meg! I’m talking about Meghan!" Niall shouted. "You know, Harry! You fuckin’ know!!" I sighed and hung up.

This is exactly what I didn’t want to happen. A few seconds later my phone rang, Harry calling. I ignored the call, getting up and going back to work like nothing happened.

*~*~*~*

Another month went by and the only person I heard form was Liam on a weekly basis. He jut gave me a heads up on what was happening, and I really appreciated it. Niall and Harry aren’t talking, except on stage and when in public. Niall refuses to talk to Harry anywhere else.

Liam’s been trying to get me to talk some sense into him, but I refuse as well. Niall doesn’t own me. I can talk to whomever I please and if it’s not him, then that sucks for him.

The boys are on tour. Its going well, according to Liam. Harry and Niall act like nothing’s wrong on stage and the fans suspect nothing. Well, except for a few mega fans.

And no matter how many times Liam asks, I always tell him I’m not talking to Niall. And yet he knows. He knows that I still think about him every day, and he knows almost exactly what to say to convince me to talk to him, almost. He tells me that he keeps a picture of him and I in his wallet, and he always has it on stage with him. He tells me that he isn’t as happy, and he tells me that he hasn’t even looked at another girl since I left.

But I don’t care. Well, I do, but I don’t want to care. I still bought their album and I still bought myself a One Direction tee shirt, and I still follow them on Twitter and I sometimes find myself looking up “Niall Horan’s Girlfriend” on Google, and am happy to find that I’m his latest one (kinda).

"I have a proposition for you," Liam said when I answered his call. "You know Niall’s birthday is coming up," He said. I nodded, even though he couldn’t see me. "Uh huh," I said. Of course I knew. Everyone told me constantly.

"Well, I’ll stop bothering you forever if you come to the concert.” He said. I was about to say no when he continued. “I’ll pay for two VIP tickets so you can take your sister. The hotel rooms, the airline tickets, anything you need is on me. Please, I just want Ni to be happy and I want him and Haz talking again, and you’re the perfect birthday present.” I gritted my teeth and grabbed my laptop, searching for where the concert was.

Dublin, of course. I mean, it couldn’t be somewhere I haven’t been. It’s in Dublin.

"You promise to stop bugging me about Niall?" I asked and he immediately answered with yes. "Then fine, send us the tickets for everything and Kate and I will be there." I said and hung up.

What am I doing?

*~*~*~*