Chapter Nine

**Meghan’s POV**

You’re afraid," Liam’s words echoed in my head for the next week. I tried to push them aside, I’m not afraid. I’m not afraid of him, why would I be?

Because he can hurt you. He already has, and he does it so easily. Okay, so maybe I am a little afraid of getting hurt. But it’s not bad enough where I wouldn’t let Niall in, right?

Yeah. Of course. I wouldn’t let something like that get in the way of our relationship. Our nonexistent relationship. Niall’s been at my door every day this week. Every day with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. And when my aunt or uncle sent him on his way, he’d ask them to give me the flowers. And they would.

So now, my room is filled with beautifully smelling roses, daisies, and lilies. Too many flowers. I walked out of my room ready to go. Linda and Jim decided to take Mike and I to a local amusement park. So I put on a Pink Floyd tank top with shorts and flip flops. I skipped down the stairs, running a hand through my hair and sighing. I let it fall in waves around my shoulder, hoping that it would stay somewhat tamed.

I got to the bottom of the stairs and grabbed an apple from the nearby island, taking a bite out of it and grabbing a few bags that had to be taken to the car. I opened the front door, apple in my left hand and bags in my right. There were a ton of flowers. For a second I thought hey were floating, then I saw the legs. Vases don’t have legs.

I sighed, squeezing past Niall and heading to the car. I put the bags in the back, taking a bite of my apple before heading back to the house.

"Meghan! Please, talk to me." Niall asked as I passed him. I ignored him, walking into my house without a word. I grabbed some more bags and took another bite of my apple. An excuse to not talk. I walked back out and put the bags in, ignoring Niall as he tried to get me to look at him. I walked back into the house, proud of myself for not speaking to him.

"Maybe you should, ya know, talk to him?" Aunt Linda said as I threw my apple core out. I looked at her like she grew an extra head. "What!? No!" I exclaimed, rolling my eyes at her.

"This is the eighth day he’s been at our doorstep with flowers, and every day he comes with more. Eventually you’ll have to talk to him, Meg." She said, shrugging.

"Might as well do it before our home becomes a green house, eh?" She smiled at her joke and I chuckled a bit, sighing.

"Are you sure?" I asked uneasily. She nodded with a small smile.

I walked to the door, grabbing the knob and taking a deep breath. I opened it to see Niall was now sitting on my porch. He looked up and when he saw me, immediately stood up.

"Meg!" He said. I stepped out onto the porch and took the flowers. I set them on the table next to the door inside and stepped back out on my porch.

"I’ll talk with you," I said softly. "If you promise to stop bringing flowers. And… coming here every day. Especially if this doesn’t go well. I’m sorry, but I just can’t… hear the doorbell every day and know you’re out there, okay?" I said watching him. He nodded, his lips pursed.

We stood in silence for a bit. I bit my lip before starting to talk. “Did Liam tell you what he told me?” I asked quickly, rocking on the balls of my feet, then back to the flat of them. Niall shook his head, his eyebrow crinkling. I blushed and looked down at my feet. “Want to walk?” I offered, starting to take the steps down to the sidewalk. He nodded, quickly joining me.

"He told me… that he thinks I’m afraid." I said, swallowing a lump in my throat. "And I thought he meant afraid of you, at first. But I’m not. I’m not afraid of you." I said confidently. "I’m… I’m afraid of what you do to me." I said a bit softer, not looking at him.