Chapter Twelve

**Meg’s POV**

After a few days of thinking I decided that it was time to go home. I’m just a girl. I’m just a normal girl, who shouldn’t be involved in Niall’s superstar life. I don’t need this burden on my shoulders, I have enough I need to deal with.

I thought long and hard. I like Niall. I really do, but he has his life and I have mine. Going back home will be good for both of us. I won’t bother him or his fans, I can get over him, and he can continue with his career.

I packed all my things, my Aunt helping. She stayed quiet. We both knew if she talked she would convince me to stay, and she knew I didn’t want that. It wasn’t because of them at all, I love them, and I hope to visit again soon. It’s Niall.

It hasn’t even been a month and he’s driven me out of Mullingar. I brought my suitcases downstairs and sighed. I knew I’d have to do it eventually. I left the suitcases and walked out of the house and towards Niall’s.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to open it. I took a step back and waited. After a few minutes I knocked again, and again, no one answered.

"Meg?" Someone asked, clearly out of breath.

"Niall," I said, smiling tightly. "What’s wrong?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing together, He took a chug from his water bottle and climbed the steps. He was all sweaty and gross, he probably went for a jog.

"Can I talk to you inside?" I asked, pointing at the door with my thumb. He nodded, pulling his keys out of his pocket and unlocking the door.

"Want something to drink?" Niall asked, heading towards the kitchen. I shook my head. "This will only take a second or two," I told him. He nodded, sitting down on the couch next to me.

"I’ve decided to go home." I blurted. He looked up at me, confused. "What? Why? You have another four months at least," He said, running a hand through his hair.

"Meg, you can’t." He said finally. I shook my head. "I am, I have to. I just.. what happened the other day made me realize that we…. I’m just a normal girl, and you’re… not. No matter how many times you say it you’re not, Niall. I like you, I really do, and that’s why I’m doing it. I can’t like you, I’ll get hurt and I’m just… helping to ease the pain." I finished and looked down at my hands.

"Meg," He pleaded, taking my hands in his. He sighed, letting me go and rubbing his hands on his shorts. "Please, Meg. Give me a shot. I can make you happy, just let me make you happy!" He said, balling his hands into fists.

"I almost got seriously hurt, Niall!" I exclaimed, remembering the girls clawing at me and yelling at me. I looked away from Niall. "I know it wasn’t your fault, but… it wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t with you." I shook my head and stood up. I walked towards the picture of the guys I noticed earlier this summer.

I picked it up and ran my hand over the glass. “I’m going to miss you guys so much,” I whispered, shaking my head. “But I have to. It’s best for us both,” I told him. I finally looked over and saw him sitting on the edge of the couch, his head in his hands.

He looked up at me. “How?” He asked, standing up and crossing the room to stand in front of me. “We can… move on. Meet new people and forget about each other,” I told him. My voice was shaky, and he looked like he didn’t buy it for a second.

"That’s bullshit. I won’t forget you. You…. You’re everywhere I look!" He exclaimed, running a hand through his hair. "Why do you think I want you to stay so badly!? I want you to stay because I have a better chance of you being mine if you’re here, rather than half way across the fucking world." He stopped and sighed, he pulled on his hair while I thought about what I had to stay.

"Niall… you don’t have any chance whether I’m here or there," I said softly, looking at him. It pained me to say this. If the other day didn’t happen he’d probably be able to ask me out and I’d be his girlfriend, if I stayed I’d end up his girlfriend for sure. Which is bad.

Niall looked at me, his face blank. He grabbed my face in his hands and crashed his lips onto mine. I tried to gasp but he was everywhere. I started to kiss him back, but then realized that I’m leaving.

I’m leaving for America in just hours.

Niall pulled away from me and smiled at me. “Stay,” He whispered, leaning in to peck my lips. I turned and his lips caught my cheek. I shook my head. “I can’t, I’m going home.” I said, stepping back and heading towards the door.

"I’ll… I’ll call you when I land." I said, opening the door. He stood by the picture. "Wait," He said, dashing towards the stairs and up them. I sighed, waiting for him. He returned down the stairs with two things. In his left hand were two pieces of paper, in the other his phone.

He handed the papers to me, folded, and then took his phone and typed a few things. “One last picture?” He asked, holding the phone. I sighed, nodding.

He came up to me and smiled sadly at me. He kissed my lips softly and I gave in, kissing him back. I want to stay. I know I can’t, but I want to stay with Niall. I want to stay and be with him, but I can’t. I’m going home.

"Bye, Niall." I said, opening the door and stepping out. I walked down the stairs and back home. I got my suitcases and went out to the cab that waited for me, then to the airport. I got on my flight and went home.

Everything I did now seemed to have no meaning. Like I should be doing something else. Anything but this. Well, anything with Niall.

I went home in a cab, went up to my room and sat on my bed. My room was almost empty, it kept what I left behind. I looked around and frowned. I took my phone out and called him.

"I got home," I spoke softly. "Come back," He begged. "I’ll pay for your ticket. I miss you, the guys miss you, your aunt and uncle miss you, Meg, Mike misses you so much." I looked down at the bed and played with the mattress.

"I can’t. I’m home. I’m sorry, Ni." I said, pulling the phone away from my ear and hanging up.

I started to unpack, and the first thing I saw were the pieces of paper. I picked up one and unfolded it, smiling. It was a short note, with a picture inside it. The picture was of us, making silly faces. I smiled, getting up and putting the picture on my dresser.

I read the note.

"Meg,

You’re always welcome to come back. You’re always going to be missed.

Love,

Niall”

I folded it up and took the final piece of paper. “Kate, you rock!” It read, and had all five signatures. I laughed, she’ll love this. I got up and went to her room, placing it face down on her pillow. She won’t know what hit her.

I went back to my room and sat on my bed.

Now what?

*~*~*~*