T W E N T Y - O N E

•later that night•

Riley Rivera

Jonah and I were stargazing in like, the middle of the night.

I know, sounds super cliche right?

We got up and stared at the water. The way the moon glistened into the lake.

"I'll be right back." He said walking away.

About 30 seconds later I feel my back getting wet. I turned around to see Jonah squirting me with a water gun. "Jonah!!" I whined.

He laughed and continued squirting me.

I ran over and grabbed another water gun. I sprayed him all over his chest.

We were laughing and having fun until I noticed something in the water.

"Hey, Hey Jonah can you see that?" I asked.

"See what?" He said coming up next to me. "That!" I said pointing to the direction I saw it in.

"Here, let me get the binoculars." He said walking over to the backpack.

He looked through them and saw. "Oh my fucking god." He whispered in disbelief.

"What?" I asked. "That's a fucking body." He said looking at me.

"What the fuck let me see." I said taking the binoculars. Sure enough, there was a lifeless body floating around the water.

"Fuck, Jonah I'm scared." I said getting closer to him. "It's okay babe." He said wrapping and arm around me.

"We have to call someone." I whispered looking up at him. "Wake up Shannon and Trevor. I'll call the police." He replied.

I went into their tent and shook them. "Guys, wake up its an emergency." I said.

"What? What happened?" Shannon asked rubbing her eyes. "Jonah and I found a dead body." I replied. "What?!" They said in sync.

"Jonah's calling the police." I said. "Okay good." Trevor said.

We exited the tent and went over to Jonah. "So??" I said. "They're on their way." He replied.

I was so scared. I hugged Jonah. He rubbed my back.

"I'm so scared Jonah..." I whispered. "I know Riley, I know." He said rocking me back and fourth.

After the police arrived we were told to go stay in the near by hotel while they investigated.

I didn't get much sleep that night.

-

The next morning I immediately turned on the news.

"...Mason Williams was found last night in a lake in Northern California..."

I looked at Jonah. "Did you know him?" He asked. "H-He disappeared 7 years ago..." I said on the verge of tears.

"We were best friends." I said letting a tear fall.

*flashback*

Mason and I had been biking around near the dessert

He was trailing behind me. "Riley wait up!" He yelled. "Haha!!" I said speeding up.

Then I realized I was the only one still biking.

"Mason?" I asked looking around. "Mason this isn't funny." I said walking my bike back to where I last saw him.

His bike was there. Nothing else.
"Mason!!" I screamed. No response.

And I never saw him again...

*end of flashback*

I burst into tears.

"Th-They finally found him..." I sobbed. Jonah held me in his arms.

"How'd he get all the way up here?" I said still bawling. "I don't know Riley." He said.

"It's my fault..." I said. "If I would've just stayed at his pace...this would've never happened..." I cried. "No don't think like that Riley." Jonah pleaded.

I sobbed harder.

"He's in a better place now." He said.

"I know..." I said. I can't believe this is real life.

*one month later*

Jonah and I were hanging out on the couch watching tv. "Do you wanna go to the park?" He asked.

"Sure." I replied.

And so we did.

"We're going out!" I yelled as we left. I still worry a lot about Ric finding me. Although I'm not as careful as I should be.

We walked to the nearest park. It had a huge playground.

I instantly ran over to the swings and started pumping. The biggest smile grew on my face.

Jonah chuckled.

"You're so adorable." He said leaning against a pole. "I know right?" I laughed.

He just sat there and watched me swing awhile.

I slid the bottom of my shoe on the ground and slowed down. Jonah started walking over to me.

He grabbed the bottom of the chains that were next to my waist.

"Babe, can I tell you something?" He asked touching foreheads.

"Yes anything." I replied.

"I'm in love with you..." he whispered. That was the first ever time he said he loved me.

"I've been in love with you since the day I laid eyes on you." I whispered back.