Chapter 9

Shit.

I'm still sitting in my seat after I heard the assigned partners. Hurrying I grab my books off the floor and head out of the classroom. As always I keep my head down trying to go unnoticed.

Reaching my locker I pack up my stuff getting ready to go home. But one thing is running through my head right now.

I have to talk to Luke again.

Which I have been trying to avoid. And I'm not gonna be the one to talk to him first that's for sure.

Maybe the easiest way possible is just to tell him he doesn't have to work on it? he would like that right? Having the nerd work on the entire project so he can get the easy A?

But then again I'm not an actual nerd. That plan would probably end up with a D- and a billion detentions because Luke didn't do any of it.

Then I just decided to face the facts. There was no way I was getting out if this project.

All students are crowding the doorway trying to get out for the weekend. Me being me I just try to stay to the side letting everyone else go first so I wouldn't be shoved and pushed.

Finally there is a pretty fair opening in the doors and I slip outside into the foolish air cause fall is beginning to start.

I start walking down the steps when someone approaches me.

"Hey Riley."

I look to my side to see who is the one speaking and find it to be Luke.

"Uh hey." I respond but just pick up my speed walking down the steps.

Everyone is basically cleared out now. Getting in their cars, bikes, or buses on their way home. Only a few were standing near me and Luke but were obviously not paying attention.

"So when do you want to work on this project? Now?"

I stop in my tracks immediately. "Now? uh I can't right now I-I have to get h-home." I say bluntly and start walking again in which Luke follows along beside me.

"Really?" He pushes.

I nod shyly.

He send a side glance at me, "Why so I get a feeling you are lying?"

"W-what are you talking about?" I stutter pretending to feel embarrassed.

"I think you can hang out but you just don't want to because it's me. Which is actually kinda strange cause any girl would be delighted to hang out with me. And even if you don't want to hang out with me, which I'm intensely offended by, let me at least give you a ride home." Luke smirks.

"Um I have my o-own ride home. " I whisper.

"You are so lying. Who knew? Riley Evans lies." He smirks once again.

I stop once again, "I'm not lying?"

He smirks for the third freaking time, "Riley there are no others cars in the parking lot besides mine. And I know you have a car. So how on Earth do you have a ride home?"

I look around the parking lot. He's right. I don't have a ride home and it's way too far of a walk.

I almost forgot that Brandon took me to school today. Dammit.

I sigh and close my eyes.

"Come on my car is over here." Luke starts walking towards his car as I just stay standing there.

He notices that I'm not following him and turn back around, "Jesus Riley it's not like I'm gonna kill you or anything."

"Not so sure about that." I whisper to myself and reluctantly start walking towards Luke's car.

Which may I say is a sleek black BMW.

Spoiled little brat.

Luke cockily opens the passenger door for me and if I were not an undercover nerd I would scoff at him and roll my eyes. But it takes everything in me to makes myself blush and put a strand of hair behind my ear while getting in his vehicle.

Luke closes the door behind me with a proud smile. Oh don't you fucking do that Sterling. You aren't all that shiz you think you are asswipe.

Luke gets in his side and starts the car as he pulls out of the school parking lot into the street.

"So we are partners for this stupid project..."

I take a deep breath, "Yeah we are."

"Wow you look happy." He frowns.

"Should I be happy?" I ask quietly.

He scoffs, "Well yeah!!! Any girl would be happy to be partners with me. Ya know hanging out outside of school. Never know what could happen."

"Luke" I sigh, "I'm not like most girls. I'm not popular. I'm not cool. I'm definitely not the kind of girl to hang out or be social."

"So? I'm still Luke Sterling that's gotta count for something!?"

Okay now I'm starting to get angry. If he keeps up this whole cocky I'm the best act I'm about to pull out my ninja moves on him. He needs to realize that the whole fucking world doesn't revolve around him.

"Around me that counts for nothing." I say as I let a bit of confidence that I've been holding in slip out.

Luke lets out a laugh, "You got that right." He says as he pulls into my driveway.

Wait.

I turn shocked towards him, "How in the name of hell do you know where I live!?!"

Luke chuckles, "It's called an address book."

"B-but you didn't exactly know you were gonna be taking me home today."

"I-...I really have no explanation." He actually seems embarrassed.

Woah Luke Sterling embarrassed. That's a first.

"Ooookkayy well I'm gonna go." I say as I hurriedly get out of the car and towards my front door.

As I'm just about to walk in I hear Luke say something as he drives down the street.

And it sounded a lot like he was coming over tomorrow so we could work on our project...