28

Kyle

I found myself at her house even though I knew I shouldn't be there. I just couldn't help it, I needed to know if she was okay and clearly she isn't. I need to stay away from her, yet here I am dressing up to go meet her at a party. She has called a million times to ask if I was still going to show up and I lied continuously that I was being delayed by work. The reason I'm still home has nothing to do with work. I'm still home because I've been giving myself reasons to stay away from her. But I guess I've never been one to listen because here I am, all dressed, about to head to the party. Dad was right all the times he called me stubborn.

My cell phone rings and I automatically assume it's Paige.

"I'm already on my way, Paige. "

"Paige?" The other voice at the end says.

That's when I realize who I'm talking to.

"Mabel. I thought I told you not to call
me? "

"Yeah, I know. But Kyle you haven't called and I was so worried. By the way, who's Paige? "

Why didn't she listen to me? Why did she call? Doesn't she know that this call could put everything I'm working for at a risk.

"Mabel, don't you understand? Don't you understand what will happen if anyone finds out you're communicating with me? "

"I'm sorry, Kyle. I couldn't help but get worried. I'm careful, no one will find our okay? "

"I'm doing fine. Please don't call anymore, if you do, I'll be forced to stop communication with you. Do you understand? "

"I'm sorry. Please don't cut communication with me. Everyone is beginning to get more worried. They're beginning to feel like this is more than your usual act of stubbornness. They are beginning to worry, Kyle. They might start a search for you. "

A search for me? No, no. At least not yet. I still have goals to achieve. I have things I want to prove to them.

"Mabel, that can't happen. Try your best to stop them from carrying out a search. "

"I'm trying, Kyle. "

"Thanks Mabel, please don't call anymore. I don't want to be found yet. Have a good evening and a good night. "

"Take good care of yourself, Kyle. Call me if anything goes wrong okay? "

"Okay, I will. "

"Kyle, one more thing. Who's Paige? "

She's the girl that I know I'm not supposed to be in love with.

"A friend, " I tell her.

There's a silent pause at the end of the phone before she says, "Okay, Bye Kyle. "

I close the door behind me and start heading for the gift store.
                         **********

I haven't been to much teen parties but from the little I heard, it's nothing like this. There's no alcohol, no loud crazy music(at least not yet), no cigarettes and well everyone is clothed. The conduct of everyone I see shows me that Brenda's parents are around. I also wouldn't really call this a 'party' , I'd call it a get together organized by parents for their child.

The event is taking place outside Brenda's house. I am looking through the crowd present, trying to get a glimpse of Paige or the birthday girl. On second thought, I wouldn't really call what I'm seeing a crowd. As my eyes roam around, it falls on someone I didn't expect to see here. Did she know he was going to be here? Are they on good terms now?