2

Paige

I close the door behind me as I leave my house. I don't even know where I'm going to. I just feel like maybe if I leave the house, I won't think much. Well I'm wrong because I've left home but I'm still thinking.

Why would he go see a movie with a girl without telling me? My mind has stopped believing the fact that she could be a relative. I don't know why.

There's this beach not far from home, I should probably go there, sit and try to clear my head. Fortunately, when I get there, it's not crowded. I'm uncomfortable in crowded places.

My phone rings and I pick it up," Hey, baby,"

"Hey, Brian. What's up?" I ask trying not to show that I'm over excited that he finally called.

"Nothing much. How's my baby girl doing?"

I find myself smiling. No, Paige. Don't smile.

"I'm perfectly alright. How are you? How was your day" How did it go? What did you do today?"

Okay, I'm talking too much.

"Calm down, babe. I'm doing fine and my day was great. What did I do today? Nothing really, I just hung out with a couple of my guy friends but it was boring because you weren't there."

Liar!

"Really? Why didn't you invite me?" I ask, playing along.

"Babe, I thought you wouldn't be really comfortable being the only female with us .Can I make it up to you? Let's go on a date tomorrow. Choice of time and place is yours."

I try to control the breaking down of my voice, "I'd love that Brian."

"Thanks for understanding, Paige. I love you."

Can't he tell that I'm not okay from the way I sound?

"Love you," I say, wiping my eyes hard so that the tears won't pour.I really don't want to cry.

I notice a shack that wasn't here the last time I was here and I decide to get a drink.

"Can I have a bottle of water?" I ask the guy selling drinks at the shack.

"Sure. Uh you don't look too good. Are you okay?"

I am supposed to tell this unknown guy that I'm okay and nothing's wrong but instead, I find myself being honest.

"No,no. I'm not okay."

"What's wrong?"

"It's my boyfriend. He lied to me and I don't feel too good about that and my dad, I think he's cheating on my mum."

"That's a bad situation you've got there. I'd love to help you. Tell me, how can I help?

As I start drinking the water, my senses return. What in the world am I doing? Telling a stranger personal things about myself. I must be losing it. What's wrong with me?

"Never mind. Just forget this conversation, okay. Sorry that I bothered you. How much does the water cost?"

He hesitates before answering," It's on me because it's your fist time."

"Oh okay, thanks."

I hurriedly walk away from him as far as my legs can carry me.

******

I am ready for my lunch date with Brian but I don't feel excited.

"Your boyfriend's here," Phoebe says, rolling her eyes.