4

Paige

"Thanks. I'll return this later, " I address the stranger, wiping the tears away for my vision to be clear.

"It's nice to see you again," he says.

Again. Have I met this stranger before? I wipe more tears away from my eyes and gaze at him more intently. It suddenly clicks, he's the guy who sells drinks at the shack, the guy I blurted out my problems to.

"Do you want to talk about it? " he asks, sitting beside me.

Probably, I could need someone to talk to. I remember how I blurted things out to him  the last time I saw him and I change my mind.

"No. I don't want to talk about it," I say wiping my eyes even harder.

"Easy there. Don't hurt yourself. Who's making you cry today, the boyfriend or the dad? "

I don't think I like the fact that he knows about my problems but my need to talk to someone dominates my reasoning.

"It's the boyfriend. "

"If he's making you cry, why are you still with him? "

Good question. Because I know leaving him would hurt even more but I'm not telling that to Mr. stranger. He'll think I'm one of those girls who love their boyfriends too much to think straight. I'm not one of them, am I?

I shift my gaze to Mr. stranger, our eyes meet and I realize he was already gazing at me.

"Well? " he asks.

My sense of reasoning returns. I'm not telling Mr. stranger personal things about me anymore.

"I have to go, " I say.

"Why the rush? " Mr. stranger asks.

You're making me feel uncomfortable, Mr. stranger. Why do you even care about my problems? You don't know me.

"I don't even know you, " I say.

"The name's Kyle. What's yours? " he asks.

Kyle. Mr. stranger's name is Kyle.

"Paige. I really have to go now. "

"Alright. Don't cry anymore. It was nice meeting you, Paige. I hope I'll see you soon again. "

I don't think I ever want to see him again.

"Goodbye Kyle."

I walk away because I don't want to confide in Mr. stranger, I mean Kyle about my problems. I shouldn't, I mean I don't even know him.

By the time I get home, I feel less hurt. Maybe it's just for the moment and later the hurt will return with great intensity but for now, it doesn't hurt much.

"So. What are Brian's parents like? Did they like you? " Phoebe interrogates.

I just wish she'll stop talking.

"They are cool. "

"Just cool. C'mon tell me every detail. "

Her words are bringing back the memories, the sight I'll never forget replays before my eyes. Brian kissing her, caressing her. I feel the tears coming, the hurt is returning. My eyes hurt.

"Paige. Are you okay? I just noticed that your eyes are swollen. Were you crying?"
She continues speaking.

"Swollen? No no. I'm just exhausted. I need a long rest. Later, Phoebe. "

As I walk to my room, the tears come again. I lie in my bed and clench my heart as I break down Every inch of me is hurting. I'm happy heartbreak doesn't kill.