13

Paige

By the time I am awake, I realize I slept just the way I came in, in my last night's outfit. One glance at my phone and I see too many texts from Brian. I don't have the energy for that right now so I switch off my phone.

My eyes fixes it's gaze on my reflection in the mirror and I see how puffy they are. I cried myself too sleep last night again.

I take off Kyle's jacket and I put it in the laundry. My gaze falls at my reflection again, I think horrible would be an understatement for how I look at the moment.

I sigh, heading for the bathroom to clean up. When I start brushing my teeth, my toothbrush breaks. I throw it in the bin Oh well, I guess there are worse ways for my morning to start.

I try to turn on the shower to sprinkle water on my face but the shower knob gets broken and water gushes out soaking me wet. I hurriedly try to fix the broken knob even though I know it's impossible. My efforts are of course useless, and I'm soaked from my head to my toe.

Remember when I said there are worse ways my morning could start? Oh well, this is an example.

"Mum! " I scream from my bedroom, praying she's still home.

Someone has to fix my bathroom or who knows how bad things might get in here!

"Mum, " I scream again before realizing that she probably can't hear me.

I start going down the stairs without bothering to get out of my wet clothes or even dry my body. I try to walk carefully so I won't slip and die on the stairs or something like that.

"Mum, " I call again as I reach the bottom of the stairs.

"Mum. Everything is wrong, you have to fix my... " my words are cut short when I'm in her presence.

Mum is in the kitchen and so is Kyle. He's sitting down and talking to mum like it's normal. Now he's friends with my mum?

"Sweetie. When did you start taking showers with your clothes on? Is that what you teenagers do these days? "

There are some things that parents should never say in front of cute teenage boys, I'm guessing my mum doesn't know that.

Also, I just realized that Kyle saw me in this outfit last night and now he's seeing it on me again in a worse condition this morning. Oh no!

Have you ever been in a situation where someone saw you in a way you usually aren't? And you just start to wish you could tell them that you're not usually that way, that on other days you look better than the way you do now?

That's how I feel right now.

"No mum. I - I was not showering with my clothes on. The shower knob just got broken and you have to fix it please. "

Kyle hasn't said a word to me and when I feel his eyes on me, I want to tell him that I don't usually sleep in my day wear. This is embarrassing.

"Paige love, just use mine or Phoebe's. I'll call the plumber shortly. "

"I can fix it, " Kyle finally speaks.

"You can? " I and mom ask simultaneously.

"Sure. I just need some plumbing tools, if you have any. "

"Oh Kyle, you don't have to.. " mum starts saying but he cuts her off.

"I want to help, if you don't mind. "

If I let mum mind, I'll have to wait for the plumber. Who knows how long he'll take before arriving? No way!

"Kyle. I don't mind. We have some plumbing tools. I'll get them. "

I hurriedly get the plumbing tools and Kyle takes them from me, holding them with his left hand.

"Kyle just came over to do his job and now you want to stress him, " mum says.

Umm. Isn't she supposed to be glad that a friend is volunteering to help me?

"It's nothing Ma'am. I want to help," he says to mum.

"Lead the way miss," he address me.

"Ok, go fix up your bathroom. I'm preparing special lunch for later. Your dad is on his way back," mum says, her blue eyes gleaming with so much passion when she talks about dad.

"Whatever, " I mutter under my breath.

Oh, who knows the condition of my bathroom now!

I start running up the stairs while Kyle walks behind me. I mentally start thinking, is my room arranged?  I don't recall. Oh! I hope I didn't leave any undies where they are not supposed to be or something like that.

I'm In such a hurry that I slip. I really think I'm going to fall but that's not what happens. I feel it before I see him, his right arm wraps around me preventing me from my fall, his warm skin chases the cold away from my skin.

"Whoa, easy there. No one wants you getting injured," he says, his arms still wrapped around me.

"Thanks, " I say, realizing there's little distance between us. I only get this close to Brian.

"You okay? " he asks.

When I tell him that I'm okay, he looses his grip on me and I crave his arms back on me. Perhaps, it's just my cold body seeking some warmth.

"Just walk less faster, " he says.

By the time we get to my room, I'm thankful that my room is not a mess and there are no undies lying where they are not supposed to be. Hallelujah!

"Have you done this before? " I ask as he checks out the condition of my shower.

"Yeah of recent."

After he speaks, he takes off his shirt and puts it neatly on the bed.

Wow! He works out. He really works out.

Dear eyes, please stop staring. Avert your gaze from his chest.

Dear saliva, please go down my throat. Don't embarrass me.

Okay, this is nothing. Brian is also good looking and muscular. This is nothing, I'm just not used to seeing shirtless boys in my room.

He enters the bathroom with the plumbing tools.

"Um I don't usually sleep in the clothes I wore during the day, " I say.

What? I just thought he should know.

Really it's just a one time thing, or two or three or more. My point is, it rarely happens.

Laughter escapes from his lips, "I wasn't insinuating that you do," he says.

A smile forms on his lips as the water from the broken knob wets him.

I should look away. I mean I don't think it's normal to stare at someone when he's fixing your broken shower knob. I put on my phone so that I would be distracted. I don't want to creep him out with my stares.

Immediately I put on my phone, it starts ringing. It's Brian. I'm just tired, I'm tired really and I don't even know if I want to answer his call. I am not so sure I can handle what he's doing to me anymore.

"So. How are things with the boyfriend? " he asks, his gaze still fixed on the work he's doing.

How are things? Good question. Funny enough, I don't even know the answer to that question anymore.