Chapter 22

Dakota's POV

Reid walked away and I sighed. Everyone stared at me and I groaned.

"You guys are so fucking nosy." I grumbled. I stepped away from Garret, smiling smugly. He deserved what he got, but I didn't want Reid to get in any trouble. He's still on campus, fighting.

"Everyone get ready for practice! Ollie, run practice until I come. Dakota and Garret, come along." Brady told the two of us. We walked towards the coach's office. The coaches were just getting ready to go outside but they looked at Garret and stopped.

"You two can go ahead. I'm going to see what's going on with these boys." Our head coach, Coach Baker told them. They nodded and walked away, still trying to figure it out. It looked like I beat his ass. "Come on in boys." He said, letting us walk into his office.

We sat down and he raised his eyebrow, looking between us.

"What's going on?"

"Well, some guy barged in here and said someone was bullying Dakota. Then Garret walks out and he started to beat his ass." Brady told him. Coach looked between Garret and I.

"My boyfriend is the guy." Garret grunted. "And he beat Garret's ass because he'd been bullying me for being gay."

"Is this true?" Coach asked him. Garret sighed.

"Yes. I did it. I ask that you take me off the team Coach." We all looked at him surprised.

"Well... okay then. You're kicked off. I hope you learned your lesson." He didn't say anything. He stood up and then he looked at me.

"Although I don't agree with the way you're choosing to live your life, I respect you. You fought back and you told your boyfriend to back off instead of letting him beat my ass." I looked down, I didn't do that for him, but whatever.

He left the room and Coach Baker sighed.

"Dakota, you've had a rough day, do you think you want to go home early?" I shook my head.

"No sir, I want to stay for practice." He nodded and we stood up.

"Next time something like this happens, I want you to tell me. No more of this taking care of it alone. We're a team and we don't allow bullying."

"Yes sir." He nodded.

"Well, let's get out here." We went out for practice and Brady patted my back.

After practice, I walked outside and Reid was leaning on the car. I ran over to him and hugged him tightly. He rubbed my back, leaning his head on mine.

"Thank you." I told him, though it was muffled. He laughed and pulled back, kissing me.

"I'm guessing everything worked out right?"

"Yes it did. He was kicked off the team. Well, he asked to be taken off." He hummed.

"Great. Hey, Dakota."

"Huh?"

"I think I love you." I looked up at him and smiled. I leaned up and kissed him.

"I love you too babe."

"Let's go home." He took my equipment and put it in the car, both of us getting in. "So, everything is okay now?"

"Yeah, it is. There's nothing else."

"Hmm, I like the sound of that. Maybe we should go out somewhere to eat tonight?"

"Or, you could cook and we could swim."

"I think I like that better." I laughed and he drove us home.

Today, Reid cooked burgers and we sat on the side of the pool with our sodas and ate.

"Mom and Dad almost came back when I told them what happened today." He laughed.

"I understand why."

"I'm still cute even if I do have bruises." He laughed and ruffled up my hair.

"Yes, you are baby." He told me, his eyes shining. I grinned widely and kissed him. "I don't just think I love you, I know it for sure now." He mumbled on my lips.

"Stop sucking up Reid." I told him, joking.

"Only if you suck me up." I rolled my eyes and we both laughed loudly.

"This might be our last swim of the year." I told him. He sighed and nodded. It was starting to get cold outside, it was chilly now. But we both really wanted to get in.

"Yeah, unfortunately." I pushed him into the water and stood so he wouldn't pull me in. I doubled over, laughing as he surfaced. He laughed too. "You're such an asshole. Come in." I nodded and jumped in, right beside him.

"It actually feels nice in here. Quite warm to say it's chilly outside." I jumped on his back and he sunk under. He came back up after a bit.

"I think you've been eating too much Dakota." I rolled my eyes.

"You still think I'm sexy."

"Didn't say I didn't." I grinned and got off. He pulled me close. "You're very sexy."

"Hmm, I agree, I am." He shook his head, smiling widely. He swam away from me, to the edge of the pool.

"Race?" I shrugged.

"I might just beat you this time." Though I knew I wouldn't. I think Reid let me get close to him, he let me almost win. Just so I would want to keep doing it. But, I didn't ever mind swimming with him. I loved it, because I knew it made him happy.

"Okay, let's see." I swam over to him. In all honesty, he'd taught me a lot. I could actually swim now, no more doggy petaling or anything like that.

Of course he won, as I said. But I was closer to winning this time.

"You know I'll always swim with you. Regardless of if I win or not, right?" He looked at me, surprised, then he smiled at me.

"Nice to know." I winked at him and he laughed.

We finished swimming and everything, and we took a shower afterwards. We got into bed and he held me tightly. I thought about the things that happened today.

"Hey babe."

"Yeah?"

"I think Garret is gay." He hummed.

"Yeah? Who's Garret?" I laughed, rubbing his stomach. My boyfriend just beats ass, not even knowing who's ass he's beating.

"The guy who got kicked off today." He grunted.

"So what?" I sighed and looked at him.

"He's been bullying me since high school, and I hated him. Trust me. But, there's something weird about him. I really think he's gay. I think he's stuggling with it." He shrugged.

"That's not my problem."

"But Reid-"

"I don't care what he's going through or stuggling with. He doesn't have the right to bully you or put his hands on you."

"True, but was it a big deal for you when you realized you liked me? Were you scared to date a guy?" He hummed.

"A little... but I wasn't homophobic. The only reason I didn't automatically go for it was because you were Sadie's best friend."

"Well, I guess you aren't the same as everyone."

"Dakota, don't try to make excuses for this guy."

"I'm not... just wondering how someone can be so troubled."

He kissed my forehead.

"Tonight is the first night in a while you don't have to worry about him tormenting you. Just sleep baby. Don't think about him." I sighed and nodded. He was right. I held onto him tighter and closed my eyes.

"You're right. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Kota."