Chapter 19

Reid's POV

It's been two months now, and me and my boyfriend are great. We were more focused on school than ever. Of course, I was in my first semester of engineering. I was taking the ever so stressful Calculus 2. I'd taken Calc 1 in high school.

Dakota was studying to be a teacher, on the other hand, the baseball team wanted him to play next semester.

"I might just play." He told me as we walked to psychology together.

"Are you sure you want to?" He nodded.

"Yeah, I think it's just-"

"Faggots." A guy said, pushing by Dakota. "Stay out of our school." I went over to him, grabbing him by his collar.

"You need to watch who you're talking to and where you're going. I'll fuck you up." He sneered at me and I threw him to the ground. "You stay away from me and my boyfriend, you got that?"

"Whatever man." He said, getting up. I started towards him, but Dakota stopped me.

"He's not worth it babe." He said, looking at the boy like he was trash. "You don't need to get your hands dirty on that scum. One day he'll get the shit back that he's dishing. One day, he just might be gay." Dakota said, smiling mischievously.

"I'm not one of you!" Dakota laughed and nodded.

"Whatever you say. Come, we're going to be late for class." He told me, pulling me towards our class. But I kept watch behind me, making sure I knew what this guy looked like. We rounded the corner and Dakota pulled me close to him, hugging me.

"You okay?" I asked him, holding him tightly.

"Yeah, I just know it's your first time being treated like that." I smiled, he was the sweetest.

"It's okay Kota. I just don't like that word, you know? And the way he bumped into you."

"Neither do I. But, I'm used to it, sadly. I just don't want you to have to be used to it." I leaned down and kissed him.

"They'll learn not to mess with either of us." I searched his eyes and he nodded.

"Come on." He pulled me to class and I smiled, following him. This is my cute little boyfriend. I caught up beside him and smacked his butt before opening the door for him to go in class. He gasped and pushed me, going into the room.

The door closed on me as I stumbled back and I laughed loudly before opening the door and going in. We sat down and began to listen to the lecture. I was taking notes and within a few seconds, Dakota was sound asleep on my shoulder.

I shook my head and kept taking the notes. I'd fill him in on it later. For some reason, he hasn't been sleeping as well. I wanted to ask him about it today, because who knows how he's doing in his other classes if I'm taking his notes in this one?

We got out of the class and Dakota sighed, still leaning on me.

"I'm sorry for falling asleep. You won't have to fill me in, just give me your notes and I'll figure it out. I know you have your own things to take care of." I leaned down and kissed him.

"Yeah, but you're important too baby. Want to tell me why you've been awake lately at night?" He bit his lip then looked at his watch.

"I would, but I promised the boys I'd come check out the facility today. I love you and I'll meet you at home. One of the guys will take me." He kissed me and I nodded and he ran off. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

I went to the rest of my classes, not too focused. I was worried about Dakota, I had no idea what it could be that was wrong with him.

"Don't worry man, I'll give you the notes." Dwight told me. He was also an engineering major.

"Thanks bro." He patted my back.

"What are you suspecting is going on with Dakota?"

"I don't know, maybe he's not doing as well in school or overthinking something I hope. I just wish he wouldn't hide things from me."

"Yeah, I know you do. I'm sure it's fine and he'll tell you soon."

"I'm counting on it. Thanks dude, see you later." I called Dakota but he didn't answer, so I went ahead and drove to the house.

There was no way he could still be at the facility.

I pulled up to the house and went inside. I ran up the stairs to our room and opened the door. I sighed in relief when I saw Dakota fast asleep in the bed.

His parents weren't here, so I decided to go downstairs and cook for the two of us. I wondered how I would get him to talk to me, he's been avoiding it for a while.

I finished making the stir fry and walked up the stairs. Dakota was sitting on the side of his bed, rubbing his head.

"Hey baby, you sleep good?" He looked up at me in surprised then nodded. His face turned from tired to completely overjoyed. He came over quickly and hugged me tightly. I smiled and hugged him back, just as tightly.

"Ugh, I love you so much Reidy." I laughed, feeling just as happy as he was. "How were the rest of your classes?"

"Good enough. How was the tour of the facility?"

"I liked it. I might play." I nodded.

"I'm glad, let's go downstairs, I cooked."

"Ooo, yummy." He pulled me downstairs, I guess he was hungry. I went to the stove and made our plates as he poured soda into two cups.

We both brought them to the living room and began to dig in.

"Mmm." Dakota moaned, leaning over to me. I smiled and ruffled up his hair. "What would I do without you?"

"Be a bum on the street because I'm the best thing that ever happened to you." He rolled his eyes, shoving the food down his throat.

"I'm not talking to you anymore." I shook my head at him.

"You won't be able to if you don't slow down and actually chew the food." He flipped me off and moved away from me. "I'm just trying to make sure you stay alive."

"Whatever." He grumbled, chomping down on the food. I turned the tv on, and soon we finished eating, cuddling as we watched it.

He hummed and leaned into me more. I looked down at him and kissed his forehead. He smiled and leaned up to kiss me.

"Kota?" I mumbled.

"Huh?"

"What's been wrong with you?" He raised his eyebrow, though he knew what I meant. "Come on Dakota, I'm worried about you. I know usually you take care of things on your own but we're a team now. You don't have to go through things alone." He stared at me before hugging me tightly.

"I know babe. I've just been thinking about being on the team. Wondering if it's the right thing to do." I stared at him, not believing him. But, I didn't say anything to contradict him.

"Well, do you like the guys on the team?" He looked at me weirdly, then he nodded.

"Yeah, most of them are nice to me." I shrugged.

"Go for it then. You like baseball and there's nice guys on the team. I don't see why not."

"That's true. Maybe you're right." I rubbed his shoulders.

"Mhmm. I know that isn't what's wrong with you. But, I won't force you to tell. I just hope you know how much I care."

"Reid, I-" I kissed him softly, cutting him off. I honestly didn't want to hear any bullshit excuses. He didn't want to tell me, that's fine.

"Don't worry about it. It's your business." I stood, getting the plates and bringing them to the kitchen. I heard him sigh as I left the room.

I guess I'll just have to wait for him to want to tell me.