Chapter 8

Reid's POV

I walked Dakota to his car the next morning.

"Once again, thank you so much for staying." He smiled and shrugged.

"It's nothing Reid." He squeezed my shoulder and I rolled my eyes and hugged him. "Take care of yourself. And your father. If you need anything please call me."

"Okay. Same for you. I'll see you around?"

"Definitely. Bye." I smiled and waved at him, my heart dropping at seeing him leave. I watched his car go before walking into the house.

"Do you like him?" I heard my father say as I closed the door. I turned around and raised my eyebrow.

"What?"

"Do you like him?" I studied him, seeing that he actually did his hair. He seemed... sober, which was weird to me. Maybe because he had work today he had to be a bit better? But I hadn't seen him try this hard in a while.

"Uhh, no Dad. I'm straight. He's just a really good friend." He smiled at me.

"You two were cuddling." I raised my eyebrow. Were we? "If you did like him, you know he'd be good for you? He cares so much about you. He came and talked to me. Seemed like you had fun swimming with him."

"He talked to you?" He nodded.

"Yeah... Reid, I know you don't trust me. I say this so much. But, I'm going to get better for you. The kid talked to me and... he made me realize that I can do it. You deserve more than this. I want you to have a life again." I stared at him.

"Let me see it happen then Dad." He nodded and hugged me.

"I'll do it for you Reid. I promise." I closed my eyes tightly, trying not to cry.

"Okay." He nodded and sighed.

"Well, I've got work. I'll see you later. I love you."

"I love you too Dad. See you later." He left and I went to my room. I saw a call from Sadie. Damn, I hadn't talked to her in a while.

I called her and she picked up quickly.

"Hey... is everything okay?" She asked, apprehensively.

"Yeah. I'm fine. It was my dad again, you know? I'm sorry."

"It's okay, you'd just scared me. Do you think you'd come over today?" I pursed my lips. I honestly wanted to sleep today. I slept wonderfully last night, but I rarely had those nights. At the same time, I had been abandoning her quite a lot lately.

"Uhh, yeah. I'll be right over."

"Okay! Great, I can't wait." I hung up and ran a hand through my hair.

I got dressed, all the while thinking about Dakota. I appreciated him coming, and I was shocked that he talked to my dad about recovering. No one had ever done that... he was a special one.
I knew he'd be good for me, but I wasn't gay. I think I just think of him as a good friend. I think.

But I want to figure it out first. I know he wouldn't ever date me anyway because he's Sadie's best friend.

He was attractive though, honestly. I knew he kept checking me out in that pool. Weirdly enough, when I was pressed against him, I had to move away because he probably would've felt something hard on his butt. I looked down at my pants now and threw my hands up in exasperation. Stupid penis. Maybe I do like him.

Like I said, he'd never date me. So why does it matter? On the other hand, I know this sounds selfish, but I need someone. I don't know if Dakota will stay, but it seems like he will.