Chapter 37: Struggling Serpent

Words will scratch more heart than swords.

Mae

At seven in the morning, I woke up feeling okay until I sat up, and my head began pounding. Holy crap, is this what a hangover feels like? 

I looked around, and the water on my nightstand demanded I drink some. I started chugging the water as I grabbed the bottle of Advil and took four. I got up, needing to pee, and realized I didn't have pants on.

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking back from yesterday, and put my head in my hands with what I remembered. 

My goodness, I had Owen change me! What was I, five?! 

When I set the bottle of pills down, I saw a note.

Text me if you wake up alive. Haha :) ~Owen

I used the restroom before anything then grabbed my dying phone, connecting it to the charger, and saw a text from Damien.

Good morning, beautiful. I know I haven't texted you, but I'm really busy here. I'll tell you all about it when I get back. Call me at 1-2 pm if you can. I would like to talk to you on FaceTime before I go to sleep. -D

Have a good day ;* -D

I smiled and texted him back. I also texted Owen that I was alive, and he called me. He was one of those.

"Hello?" I answered, snuggling deeper into the blanket as I laid my ear on the phone.

"How's the hangover?" He chuckled, sounding peachy. Freakin alcoholics, where's his hangover? I demand a refund.

"I'm never drinking ever again," I groaned, earning loud laughter from Owen. "Shh."

"Sorry." He chuckled, clearing his throat a bit. 

"Papi, lookit," a little girl in the distance said.

"Is that your daughter?" I smiled. She had an adorable voice.

"Yeah, she's trying to show me a handstand," Owen answered before talking to his daughter. "Walk toward me." 

"Lookit, I'm doing—" I heard a thud and then giggling. 

"Are you okay?" Owen asked, sounding worried.

"Yeah, I'm gonna try again." She laughed. She sounded a bit like the women in the recording Owen played last night. Thinking of last night set tremendous amounts of embarrassment in.

"Hey," I called to Owen.

"Yeah?" Owen answered but got distracted by his daughter. "Put your dishes in the sink."

"No!" His daughter said, and I pulled back the corners of my lips. 

"One," Owen counted.

"Two," his daughter counted back, and I smiled. She was daring.

"Oh, really?" Owen asked with authority.

"No, no, I'll do it!" She said. Small, heavy footsteps sounded through the phone, and the sound of dishes clanking together did as well.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Owen asked. I was going to speak, but his daughter started talking to him again.

"Papi, look!" She said.

"Just give me two minutes, okay? I'm talking on the phone," Owen told her in a soft, sweet voice. 

"How much are two minutes?" She asked.

"A hundred and twenty seconds."

"How much is a hun—the number you said?"

"A hundred and twenty seconds," Owen repeated, enunciating, and slowing it down so she could understand.