Chapter 9: Sincerely Sorry

You don't know me, you only know what I allow you to know.

Mae

Had football practice early so the guys picked me up and they're going to drop me off. I have lunch money don't worry. Really. Love you. Have a good day at school.

Sincerely, Mr. hot AF

I rolled my eyes as I picked up an apple and headed out to my car. When I was halfway to school, I didn't see the guys like I had been these past couple of days. I felt a little sad they didn't show up. I couldn't help but think, what if he really didn't mean to get me upset?

I knew people were always curious, but they never invited me to their house just so they could ask me that specific question. Should I learn to trust them or were they going to hurt me anyway?

"Hey, Lexi?" I asked, and she came alive.

"Yes, Mae?"

"What should I do?" I asked.

"What situation are you referring to?"

"Should I trust Damien and the Guys?"

"I cannot give you an answer, but you are well aware of that fact," she said, and I knew she couldn't. I was just hoping she would.

I pulled up to the school, and I saw the boys leaning against their cars as they conversed. When I got off my car, they looked at me and their faces lit up when they saw me. They smiled, but I looked away and continued to walk until someone stopped me.

It was a girl that was in my grade. Her name was Crystal, but many people called her 'Slutty' Crystal. I had never called her that nor would I because I thought it was mean. Just because she liked to be with a lot of guys, doesn't give the right for anyone to shame her for her choice of activities.

She was old enough to make her own discussion. She didn't dress slutty, she wore jeans that may have been tight, but they made her look good, and a pretty blouse with sandals.

She glared at me, and I was confused. She was never mean to me, so I didn't know what this was about. Some students stopped and stared. Mainly because they thought a fight would break out, and others rushed to class when the first bell had rung. I looked at the guys and felt embarrassed at whatever was going to happen.

"So what, Mute Mae, you think you're all that because they talk to you? Well, think again. No one likes you and no one ever will," Crystal sneered. I was confused and felt embarrassed that she was making fun of me. Why? What had I done to her?

She was trying to put me down, and I had already gone through enough of that. She was making me upset. I clenched my teeth and gripped the straps to my backpack. She took a step toward me and raised her fist to punch me. When she swung, I caught it. She threw her left hand, and I caught that one as well.

I put her hands down and walked around her, but I stopped when I heard her shout. I turned around to find her hand raised with Damien's hand around her wrist. His face held an angry look. The same one Ryder and Bennett held.

"Don't you ever touch Mae," Damien spoke, calmly but anger was evident in his voice. "This goes for all of you! If you ever treat Mae bad again, you'll be dealing with me."

"And me!" Ryder shouted.

"Me too!" Bennett yelled. 

"I'd say me too, but I'm already on probation with the school, and I promised my grandma I'd stay out of trouble," Max said.