Chapter 31: Strong Souls

He said different things in different ways, and it caught my imagination. He was everything I'd ever dreamed so simply unordinary.

Mae

"Huh?!" He asked, his voice cracking. I had just spoken, and I was nervous, my heart was pounding with adrenaline in my chest. He raised his eyebrows as he waited, but I knew he heard, and I smiled at the fact that he was shocked, I found it humorous.

I guess I had never really thought about the reaction somebody would give if I spoke. He sat straight ahead, looking away, straight toward the waves as his eyes were wide, but his eyes started moving, looking at me from the side, and it creeped me out, so I laughed.

He moved quickly in front of me, on his knees as he looked at me with wide eyes, and I leaned away a bit, scared by his frantic moves. "Did you just... did you... what did you just say?" He asked, testing to see if I would speak again, and this time I didn't wait to see if I would hear the voice again.

"I trust you, Damien," I whispered, smiling as I nodded. I did trust him, and I knew that now. There was no going back. I was nervous about speaking to him but there was also a calmness, and it felt like I did the right thing by speaking to him

He froze, looking at me, unmoving, and I became worried about his reaction. Was this a good thing or a bad? I wasn't sure if there was a right or wrong reaction.

"Y-y-ou s-sp-" he stuttered, not able to finish from how shocked he was, and my smile wouldn't leave my face. My heart was hammering in my chest, threatening to come out. I pieced together that he was shocked because I spoke which could have been a good thing.

It had made me feel like I wasn't the challenge he had told me I was. That me speaking was completely and utterly unexpected to him. He wasn't expecting this and maybe he wasn't even hoping for it. Which felt like a good thing.

"Spoke?" I offered, finishing his word. He nodded, his lips moving but words failed to come out, and I couldn't stop smiling at his reaction. So, this was what people might do?

"M-m-m-more," he stammered as he looked at me. I laughed, and his smile grew wider at the sound. I was confused by what he was trying to say as he looked at me like a child seeing his favorite superhero in real life. What was he trying to say?

"Mae?" I offered. Maybe that was what he was trying to say? He shook his head, and I was afraid that this was a bad reaction. My smile slowly faded, and my heart sank. Did he not care that I spoke? Maybe he had wanted more silence. He blinked and leaned toward me.

"Do you regret it?" He asked, softly, now able to find his words clearly. His face filled with worry as he shook his head. "Don't regret it, please," he begged softly, almost if he was afraid he'd spook me, or if he would speak my regret into existence. He looked at me as he waited, and I shook my head, not understanding what he was saying.

"Regret what?" I whispered, not needing to speak any louder because he was so close to me.

"Regret talking to me," he whispered, and I smiled. That was what he had thought? I knew I didn't regret speaking to him, he was one person I was sure of.

"I don't regret it," I smiled. He smiled before opening his arms and tackling me down, lying on top of me. I flinched, scared of what he was doing, but he rested his head on chest, and I stopped being scared once I realized what he was doing.