Chapter 19: Super Simple

Just because I don't react, doesn't mean I didn't notice.

Mae

"So... after a good night's rest, have you finally come to the conclusion that Captain America is better?" Axel asked once I got out of my car. I pulled my backpack on and fixed the straps so they were straight.

"No good morning or how did you sleep?" I teased and he smiled. He seemed more relaxed talking to me and I knew I felt the same. It wasn't even the tiniest bit awkward or uncomfortable.

Once all the guy got out of his car, he locked it and walked next to me. I smiled at the guys and they all smiled too. "Hey, Mae," Solan waved. I noticed a huge bruise on the back of his forearm. I didn't ask but I wanted to. It didn't seem fair of me to ask about how someone else got their wounds when I wouldn't answer about how I got mine. I just hoped everything was okay with him.

"So what's the verdict?" Daniel asked, gripping on to the straps of his backpack. There were still five minutes left till the bell rang, so we stopped by our cars to talk.

"Thor's the best," I stated and they were delirious, except Solan. He put his hand up so I gave him a high-five. Axel and Daniel kept signing to each other that I must have been out of my mind.

"I'm gonna have to agree with that. I'm also gonna have to leave. See ya later," Solan said and walked through the entrance.

"Is his class all the way in the back?" I asked.

"What's the back? I always hear kids say that," Daniel asked.

"It's the far ends of the school. There's the front, which are by the front entrances and then the back are the classrooms that are far from the front probably the school," I explained. They nodded understanding and Daniel gave a small 'ooh' as it made sense.

"So what do you guys say about the middle?" Daniel asked.

"We just say 'it's kinda in the back' or 'it's kinda in the front' or we say 'it's kinda by the library' if its close by the library 'cause the library is in the center of the school," I told them.

"Good to know. Now it'll make it seem like we fit in," Axel said and I laughed as I nodded. The bell rang so we turned around and started walking towards the entrance. I saw Damien getting out of his car and he smiled at me so I smiled back. I felt a tap on my shoulder so I looked to my right at Axel.

"We should hang out again. It was pretty fun yesterday," Axel signed and I nodded.

"When? I sort of have an essay for Government due soon and I plan on doing that today," I signed before opening the door for the guys and they walked in, thanking me. I looked in the back of me to see if anyone was there so I can hold it open for them and saw Damien.

"Thank you," he signed and held the door. I smiled and thanked him back before walking in. Bennett, Ryder, and Max walked in after me.

"Of course," I smiled.

"Is that you're welcome?" Damien asked as he mimicked my sign.

"No," I signed as I shook my head. I put my hand out, palms facing him and then did the sign for 'you're welcome'.

"You're welcome," he said as he mimicked the sign and I nodded proudly.

"Wow, that's some improvement there, Damien," Daniel mocked, and Axel shoved him. Daniel gave Axel a look and Axel shook his head. I couldn't tell why Daniel was being rude and why Axel was defending Damien when Damien made it abundantly clear that he didn't like Axel.