Chapter 5: Security Sorce

When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.

Mae

"N-"

"Don't lie to me," Mitch said, calmly, cutting off Zach. It was always scary when he was calm.

"It was just some kids at school. Messing around that's all," Zach said.

"Did you watch?"

"Yeah, it was alright," Zach shrugged. Alright? I glanced at Zach, and he gulped, so I looked back at Mitch, and he was looking at me.

"It was boring being left in the dust," I whispered, and he nodded before walking to the door.

"You know a lot about that don't you?" Mitch asked, and it stung because he was talking about our mom leaving us. "I'm going for drinks with the guys. When I get back I want this whole house clean."

"Yes, Sir," Zach said, and Mitch walked out. I liked it when our father would leave. Especially, when he would go out to drink because he would come back drunk. When Mitch was drunk, he was much nicer, and he'd never hit us. Unless we killed his buzz then he'd sober up.

In three hours we finished cleaning the whole house; it was already midnight. I went to my room and pulled out my English homework. I always tried to finish the majority of my homework at school.

That way I didn't have to do much when I was home. And so I could have free time but most of that free time went into cleaning or running errands for Mitch.

Once I finished my homework, Mitch was still gone, and I knew he wasn't going to be home till three in the morning. Zach was already asleep, so I left to the gym. Zach arranged a fight for me soon, so I had to stay in shape.

"Ready?" Razor asked. Razor was the leader of The Black Scorpion. He's the one who took a chance on me and gave me my racing car. He's also the one who I bought my Camaro from.

~Flashback~

I walked into a bar and the bouncers didn't even ID me. I must be in the right place. I walked in and there were other kids here, they looked about my age but none I've seen at school. That must be because I was on the Eastside. The Eastside was controlled by The Black Scorpion.

"We need drivers!' Razor shouted, so everyone could hear, and the kids flinched and even though I was already used to it, I still flinched.

"Why minors?" A guy who was sitting at one of the tables asked. He was cute, looked like a cute trouble maker.

"Becuase if you get caught by the cops, most likely they'll let you slide," another guy answered.

"And if they don't?" A girl with a mean look asked.

"Then they don't and with the money, you earned from the job, you use it to bail yourself out," Razor told us. "First, a race. The first three winners get the job. Those who lose will stay quiet about this. If they don't... serious damages will be done."

Everyone looked at each other but since I was sitting farther away, no one paid attention to me. The race was happening today, so we all got up but Razor stopped me.

"Who are you?" a guy asked as Razor held onto my arm. I wanted to wince, but I stayed quiet.

"A racer?" Razor asked, so I nodded.

"Do you speak or are you a narc?" The guy that was next to Razor asked as he let go of my arm. I held my finger out and the guy grabbed it. "You want me to pull your finger or chop it off?"