Chapter 1: Sinister's Shelter

I cared, I always cared, that was my problem.

Mae

Change.

Change was vital to my survival.

That was what I needed to do as my abusive father barged into our small house, booming my name. "WHERE IS SHE?!" I heard my father, Mitch, yell. I jumped up from my bed and ran to my closet so I could put on clothes with extra padding. Before I was able to change, my door slammed open, and I came into contact with the monster I longed to escape from.

"Stop!" My brother, Zachary, yelled as he rushed into my room. We've been by each other's side, been through thick and thin, seen and dealt with all of the horrors since the day we came into this world together. Only a few months until the big one-eight.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Mitch snapped, pushing Zach away. "Have some respect! Do I need to teach you some respect?" The strong hatred and fear in Zach's eyes made him look at the wood floor. His jaw ticked a few times as Mitch stared down at him. "Do you need another lesson?"

"No," Zach whispered. He was the only one there for me when our mom left us for the drugs. I guess I wasn't worth it. Why have your kids when you can use drugs at your disposal, right? At times I believed my father when he called me worthless. If I was worth something, anything, maybe she wouldn't have left us, maybe he wouldn't hit us. 

"I'll teach, Mae, then." Mitch turned to me. 

"I said fucking stop!" Zach grabbed his arm.

The back of Mitch's ginormous hand smacked Zach's face. The hatred in Zach's eyes intensified, and he pushed Mitch. I wanted to stop Zach before it got worse. I knew what he was doing. Zach often made Mitch furious so some of the heat could come off of me, but that only made the beatings worse for Zach.

I would try my hardest to not talk, cry, or scream; but, there were times when I couldn't hold it in, and I would beg, screaming and crying for mercy at the feet of a monster. That did little because that very monster would give me a sadistic smile and laugh while he threw punch after punch and kick after kick, relishing in the feeling and sound of my pain.

Mitch gripped onto the back of Zach's neck and dragged him to Zach's room. "Should I give you a sedative, or is that being too nice?" The sedative was to knock Zach unconscious, then, he would either beat Zach until he woke up, or Mitch would come after me first, and Zach couldn't stop him.

I turned around to my closet. Now was my chance to change before my beating started. A door slammed as I reached for my second hoodie, but before I pulled it on, a hand wrapped around my wrist.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Mitch asked and wrapped my hair around his hand. I was never allowed to cut my hair for this exact reason; his very own personal leash. On my first attempt at cutting my hair, I ended in the hospital. The doctors thought I was in a car accident, and why wouldn't they believe the chief of police?

"Stop!" Zach screamed at the top of his lungs. It was unfortunate that we lived so far from neighbors. Mitch pulled me back by my hair and pushed me forward, making me stumbled.

The fighter instincts I gained from streetfighting withered away, scared of the monster before me. Paralysis consumed my body, and the fear shook me to my core. I was rendered useless. Correction: worthless. Please, I begged the paralysis to leave my body as I heard Zach whimpers.