Chapter 35: MERRY CHRISTMAS

"You know, you're going to get hypothermia!" 

Annabeth shouted down at the water. She was currently crouched down on the old, rickety "docks" of the boathouse. Hovering above her were the massive sails of the Durmstrang ship. However, unlike when they had first arrived, they no longer flickered in the wind, due to the fabric being hardened and covered with a thick layer of frost.

Hogwarts literally looked like a Winter Wonderland. And being the Seaweed Brain Percy was, he thought it was a good idea to go swimming. Sure, he said it was to "gather information" for the Second Task, but Annabeth secretly knew all he wanted to do was talk to the Giant Squid.

Now no longer having classes during the day, the three actually were a bit more accustomed to the grounds of Hogwarts. Recently they usually walked over to Hagrid's in the afternoon, visiting their three pegasi. It was a short distance, but still a difficult trek due to the thick coat of snow resting firmly on the ground. The tiny, icy crystals of frost made the castle shine, matching quite well with the rooftops and turrets caked in the same snow.

Hagrid's Hut was barely visible due to the heavy snowfall, the only marker to show it was still there was the ever-smoking chimney coughing up puffs of grey fog into the air.

Thalia had decided to stay with Hagrid, discussing creatures, pumpkins, and other random topics. It had shocked Annabeth, but the Half-Giant and the Lieutenant of Artemis had become quite close friends...

Leaving her behind, that is how Annabeth got dragged to the boathouse for a pleasant little swim.

"Percy, I swear to Gods get up here, right now!" she stomped her foot on the floor, now placing her hands on her hips, staring down the icy water.

Finally, she was forced to use her most powerful form of persuasion, "I'll tell your mother that you don't get anymore blue cookies."

Almost immediately, Percy's head poked out of the water, "Wait, what!?"

She grinned, as he pulled himself onto the hard surface of the docks, "Did you even find anything else about the Second Task?"

He shook his head, "Well, pretty much all of the fish are scared of the grindylows... I managed to catch one but, it said some rude things." Percy frowned, before continuing, "They don't seem very tough, but they are apparently a lot of them are hiding down in the bottom of the lake. It'll be hard for wizards to get past them, if that's what the Second Task is."

Annabeth shook her head, "How is someone going to get past them then? And stay underwater for that long?"

He shrugged, "I'm sure there's spells... But I guess it's better to stay safe and keep an eye on Harry when it starts..."

The both nodded in agreement, returning to the castle.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Oh my gods, it's tiny," Percy's eyes widened, staring at the minuscule owl flapping its wings rapidly as it charged for Annabeth's head. The two froze in the corridor, watching it glide excitedly towards her.

It hooted happily, perched on her shoulder as she smiled. It's huge, round eyes were centimeters away from her nose, as its ruffled its wings in attempt of settling in its new spot. Just then, Ron snatched the owl in his fist, grumbling angrily, "Stupid little feathery git! You bring letters to the addressee! Not hang around showing off!"

Ron then unraveled the string off of Pigwidgeon's ankle, handing it towards Harry. After, he gave the owl an odd toss into the air, as it took flight and left.