Chapter 8: Well, um... This is awkward.

"There's a fourth school?" Ron rose one eyebrow, glaring directly at Harry

"That doesn't make sense!" Hermione dug her fingers into her bushy hair, before continuing, "For centuries, it has only been three schools... Either there is some sort of mistake, which Dumbledore would not allow or,..." she pinched the bridge of her nose, "... or someone with great influence bent the rules, specifically for this 'school' to compete!"

"Well, why would anyone do that?" Harry asked dumbfounded, as they began to leave the Great Hall.

"Probably Death Eaters..." Ron grumbled.

Neville took 2 broad steps, to walk in sync with the trio, "You know, I heard Professor McGonagall discussing it with the other two headmasters just now, and apparently it's a new school from the United States."

"Really?" Hermione inquired, already clutching a school book tightly in her right hand, and her wand in another.

"Come on guys, at least give 'em a chance," Neville frowned.

"He's right. Whoever these Americans are, we best give them the benefit of the doubt," Harry said while pushing his glasses higher up on his nose.

"Benefit of the doubt?" Ron frowned.

"It's a muggle saying,..." Hermione replied. Before skipping at a quicker pace as they caught sight of the gravelly terrain outside.

When the four Gryffindor students made it there (well, only three because Neville got lost in the crowd), about a quarter of the school was already standing in front. A few murmurs here and there, as they discussed the odd occurrences of the evening. Just as the Beauxbaton students (being the last and most considerate to leave the hall) emerged into the courtyard, a Hufflepuff student cried, 

"Look! It's a horse! A flying horse!" And indeed it was.

Harry glanced up at the sky. Even though it was hard to see from behind the entrance hall (now being outside) and one of the larger towers, if he stood on his toes, he could just see three horses flying in their direction.

"Are those..." Harry began, looking back towards Hermione.

"Pegasi, yes. But they seem to be a different breed than the Abraxan horses the Beauxbaton students used," Hermione frowned in worry, glaring up at the sky.

She was right. The raven black pegasus, leading the other two, seemed larger and stronger than the Beauxbaton's winged horses. Their headmaster seemed to notice too, because the tall women walked towards the front, gaping in awe.

As the black pegasus landed, trotting a few steps forward accompanied with a faint 'clip clop,' the headmaster raced forward.

"Magnifique! Where did you get such a beautiful horses?" she asked in her thick french accent, while stroking the pegasus' mane. Harry just noticed the rider sliding off of the pegasus' back, and for a second he took a step back.