Chapter 49: The Third Task

It was twenty minutes into the maze, and Percy (surprisingly) hadn't encountered anything peculiar.

At least, until a very familiar roar echoed throughout the small corridors lined with thorns and brush.

Percy sighed as he exasperatedly uncapped Riptide, now holding his sword in one hand and wand in the other. He spun around, just in time to spot the Minotaur charging towards him.

The half-bull half-man continued to charge, his horns scraping against the maze's walls due to the lack of space. Unfortunately, that also meant Percy had a split-second to dodge out of the way before becoming a demigod-pancake.

If he couldn't jump to the side (because the maze was very thin, not giving him enough space), he'd have to jump up.

The Minotaur was ridiculously tall, so as Percy propelled himself into the air, he knew he wouldn't completely fly over the monster's head.

"Err... Wingardium Leviosa!" he cried out whilst making a split-second decision and aimed his wand towards his shoes. Surprisingly, it had worked.

The boost of magic lifted him almost 6 feet into the air. It wasn't nearly enough to see over the massive walls of the maze, which looked almost endless, but he definitely flew high enough over the Minotaur.

He landed with a hard 'thud' on the ground, having to brace himself with his hands as he stood back up. Then, Percy sprinted forward and impaled the Minotaur in the back with his sword.

An odd wail was called out, but he immediately disintegrated into a pile of gold dust.

He kicked the pile of dust for good measure, but due to the lateness in the night, and odd glistening of moonlight reflecting off of it, the monster's remains looked much more grey... like ash.

Ash, the same phrase used in the prophecy. "Whether blood or ash, it shall be spilt..." he muttered beneath his breathe.

Percy gulped, a sickening feeling began to form. A feeling that something was going to go terribly wrong tonight...

________________________________________________________________________________

"Thanks..." Cedric managed to say between coughs, recovering from the near-death experience with the possessed Viktor Krum only moments ago.

Harry nodded, wiping the sweat off his brow. First the sphinx, now this...

He was just about to use his wand to cast the compass spell, pointing which direction was North, before noticing where the two champions were standing.

Right in front of them was the Triwizard Cup.

The two held their wands, shifting uncomfortably before Harry suggested, "Together?"

Cedric smiled before he began to nod his head,

"Together."

________________________________________________________________________________

Percy sighed, watching the sphinx turn into tiny flakes of dust as he looked back down at his glowing bronze sword.

He didn't have time to solve a riddle, he just had to find Harry... The further he went into the maze, in solitude, the more worried he became.

This maze was too dangerous.

This maze didn't feel... right.

This maze was a trap. Percy was 100% sure.

He was continuing to walk further when an eerie blue glow caught the corner of his eye. Percy broke into a sprint, following the light to only be welcomed by the sight then none other than Harry Potter, standing in front of the Triwizard Cup.