Chapter 32: Meeting in the Girl's Bathroom

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

McGonagall whirled around to face the back of the classroom, causing everyone to dip their heads low and shrink in the desks they had sat at. Hermione was anxiously jotting down notes about their work; transforming a guinea fowl into a guinea pig. During which, Harry and Ron abruptly stopped their sword fight with a couple of the Weasley twins' fake wands. Percy was helpfully giving some pointers on how to disarm one another, which Harry had to admit, was intriguing on how much he knew about fencing.

Annabeth yanked the collar of Percy's shirt, jerking him back up in his seat as McGonagall had snapped at the two. His girlfriend, which Harry had recently learned the two were dating, gave him an irritated look. To be quite honest, Harry had a hard time determining whether Annabeth or McGonagall's glare was more terrifying.

Hermione turned around in her seat to get a view of the back of the classroom, where the two (caught) troublemakers were sitting. As her eyes scanned the interruption, her gaze shifted towards the Americans momentarily (who sat beside the two). At the sight of them, Hermione's face turned pale, as if she was quite sick. It was noticeably strange to Harry. Ever since last week, she had been avoiding Percy and the others. Even at the mention of their names, she would brush over the topic.

Ron found her new discomfort quite irritable too, and pestered her more than usual in hopes of seeing what was the matter. Did Ron have a better idea what was bugging her than him?

Harry shook the thought away, as he sheepishly looked up towards McGonagall (Ron quickly followed suit and did the same).

"Now that you two have been kind enough to act your age, I would like to share an announcement."

Most of the students frowned, glancing at one another in concern. A few good students were mainly curious about the said announcement, but others such as Harry, Ron, and Percy, were just upset that it may interfere with them staying in class longer. McGonagall continued,

"As most of you have seen, the Triwizard Tournament has taking course this year. It is tradition to also hold the Yule Ball, a dance, to offer an opportunity for us to greet our foreign guests formally."

At this, most of the girls began whispering and mumbling ecstatically. Even Lavender Brown let out a rather high-pitched squeal, which caused Thalia to cover her ears and roll her eyes.

"The dance shall take place Christmas Day, at 8 o'clock. Fourth years and those who are older may attend, unless a younger student is invited by someone else. Potter. Jackson... A word please?"

At the sound of the bell ringing, most of the students started scuffling through the door, trying their best to escape the classroom.

The two boys walked up towards her desk, Percy seeming especially nervous. Probably prepared if McGonagall snaps at him like she had to Harry only moments ago. But that wasn't what she planned to say, "Now, it is best that you two know it is customary for the champions and their partners-"

"Partners?" Harry frowned.

"Yes, Potter. Your dancing partners."

"Excuse me?" Percy raised an eyebrow.

McGonagall lips grew thin into a look of disapproval, as she gave them an irritated glare, "Yes. Traditionally, the champions and their partners open the ball by dancing first."

Just as Harry began to protest, "I don't dance-"

"Oh, yes you will," McGonagall proclaimed,

"Now, off you go. Don't be late for your next class."