Pure

Pure

Cassie opened her eyes to what she thought would be a ceremony; candles, flowers, petals, and the twelve guardians looking at her with admiration. Her head hurt and her vision was blurry but she instantly recognized Piero... and the dirty and abandoned room around them. Piero handed a white, thorn-less rose.

"Hello." She said with a soft, melodic voice.

"Cassie," Piero grinned but his smile vanished suddenly, he recalled that he wasn't allowed to have an emotional connection to her. He cleared his throat. "As a guardian, Cassie, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to stop Icarus from killing the girl." Piero paused and looked at his black hands, remembering how it was to have them pure. And Cassie always reminded him of how pure he was before dying. Sometimes when a strange combination of light and shadows occurs, he can distinguish the black lines. Each one representing one of Icarus' lives; and yesterday he saw a new line, covering the small part of his arms that was still human-like.

Cassie was confused for a moment then she looked at the rose. "But... he doesn't kill her, they both die, that's the curse... his punishment."

"We know that, but guardians are meant for protect humans not," he hesitated for a moment, "Whatever he is."

"He is just a boy."

"Remember Cascadia, he is the boy who flew too close to the sun."

"Oh come on! Convincing him to kill himself so the curse breaks can't be that hard. And don't call me Cascadia, please and thank you."

"We've been trying to do that since the times of ancient Greek."

"Yes, but I'm more determined than all of you."

Piero sighed in frustration. Cassie was that type of girl who had her own ideology. Her mind was a cage, and inside that cage was her personality and the thoughts that would come out but new ideas would never come in. Basically, she was stubborn. And gritty; very, very gritty. She broke the innocent and calm atmosphere with her personality and last words.

Piero is hiding something, Cassie thought, specifically because of his behavior that day. It was probably because taking a life out of someone was exhausting. But hey, dying and reviving as a bad ass human guardian was an arduous job too.

"Where is Helena by the way? Or Alexander? I thought my revival would be a bit more like..."

"A ceremony?"

"I was going to say fancy, but you get the idea."

She tried to get up from the chair, her little ballet dancer legs felt lighter. Cassie had to learn how to walk all over again, and even if she learned quickly, with all her knowledge still buried deep inside her, she still felt weird. The colors she saw were softer and everything she touched felt like silk to her hands. And the sounds were all melodic, even the ones made by the annoying humans on the street.

"What are you amused by?" Asked Piero, making Cassie smile.

"Oh nothing," she sighed, "My twisted little thoughts, you know?"

Piero watched Cassie move her tiny feet try to get her ballet poses right, still holding the rose in her hand.

"You'll meet him today." He said adruptedly, watching her rose fall to the floor.

"What? I'm not ready! What? I mean.... What?"

"You heard it; you'll meet Icarus today. He'll do a show tonight, this is the address" He handed Cassie a piece of crumpled paper. Watching her reading and shake her head as she finished made Piero feel bad. He felt bad about lying to her about who the girl is; her.