Colors

Colors

The lights were dim except the ones above the stage where an explosion of colors swept away your senses. Crimson shined over Tate's cheeks, shoulders and arms while the teal wandered above the skin of his hands, eyes and mouth; from which a song that named the color blue again and again escaped from his lips.

Cassie was in the dark, barely illuminated by a row of low-hanging lights that glinted through the glasses and bottles at the bar. Admiring the spectrum of colors and enjoying the fact that Tate was having so much fun on stage, she thought he liked showing off his singing skills-and she sure liked listening to him while admiring his performance and stage presence.

When he got off the small stage, the few people in the audience applauded. Smiling, he sat down next to Cassie and ordered two drinks. While others got on stage to sing, Tate talked about Mac, Cheese, Lip, Titan and Lily, about school and his band. Pouring out of him, enthusiasm and happiness overflowed cascading with every word while the nearby lake waters reflected the sparkle in his as eyes as he spoke.

Piero once told her that she was born under the symbol of a white rose, so white was the color that best represented her...pure, strong, and confident. She wondered what Tate's color should be.

"Why don't you talk?" he asked nudging Cassie out of her hypnotic trance.

"Sorry...what?" she asked, leaning towards him. Cassie understood perfectly what he said and just used that as an excuse to get in closer to him.

"I like listening to you."

"Because you have no option, may I point out," Tate laughed.

Cassie laughed too and shook her head, then got back to her seat.

"It's your turn," he teased, shifting the spotlight back to her, and took a sip from a yellow drink.

"What would you suggest?"

"Whatever your heart desires."

"This was such a bad idea." Cassie crossed her arms on her chest and frowned, closing her eyes and shaking her head again.

"No...it's a great idea!" Tate placed his finger below her chin and lifted her head. "But it's okay if you don't want to."

Seconds passed as they stared at each other in silence, Tate pouted and Cassie couldn't resist, he looked adorable.

"Please come with me?"

Tate smiled and grabbed her hand, he couldn't believe how shy she was being over a little karaoke seeing as she's a ballerina who performs on stage and all.

"I thought you'd never ask!"

"Please promise me you won't leave me alone on stage."

"I'd never do that," he said satirically while dramatically placing his other hand on his heart. "What song you got in mind?"

Cassie's shy smile turned into a devilish grin. "Oh, you'll see." She grabbed his hand tighter and got up.

"This was such a bad idea." Tate whispered, quoting in fun what she'd said before.

Cassie left Tate on stage while she talked to the karaoke host. Tate saw her whisper something into his ear.

Suddenly the lights turned brighter and the music started. Cassie looked at him when the first few notes sounded, he giggled. He knew the funky '80s piano rhythm by heart.